System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error ????

HK

I just moved an ASP.NET application to a new web server at a different
location of ours. The SQL Server machine was moved to that new location at
the same time as the web site DNS was pointed to the new server. Suddenly
I'm getting lots of intermittent errors of this type.

The switch/hub/repeater that routes the traffic at the new location is an
older one, if that makes any difference.

One thing that bothers me is that the SQL Server has since (the move) been
reporting NetBT errors in the event log (event ID 4319 "A duplicate name has
been detected on the TCP Network"). But there are no duplicate names on my
private tcp/ip network. I can only think that maybe that comes from the
fact that I am using an external public DNS server on the sql server now;
before I think I had it pointed at its own internal DNS service on the same
box. I don't know if this error is related.

The ASP.NET error is:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error. Check your
network documentation.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(SqlConnection
connection, SqlTransaction transaction, CommandType commandType, String
commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters, SqlConnectionOwnership
connectionOwnership)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String
connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText,
SqlParameter[] commandParameters)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String
connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText)
at myprogram.myclass.mymethod()

the method names vary and work intermittently; they are also methods calling
stored procs that are optimized and execute quickly from Query Analyzer.

Any thoughts/fixes?

Lucas Tam

I just moved an ASP.NET application to a new web server at a different
location of ours. The SQL Server machine was moved to that new
location at the same time as the web site DNS was pointed to the new
server. Suddenly I'm getting lots of intermittent errors of this
type.

The switch/hub/repeater that routes the traffic at the new location is
an older one, if that makes any difference.
Any thoughts/fixes?

You're having network issues - time to get your network guru to debug your
network.

Nothing you can do about it in ASP.NET... basically .NET is having trouble
connecting (or maintaining a connection) to your SQL Server due to network
issues.