System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error ????

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by HK, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. HK

    HK Guest

    I just moved an ASP.NET application to a new web server at a different
    location of ours. The SQL Server machine was moved to that new location at
    the same time as the web site DNS was pointed to the new server. Suddenly
    I'm getting lots of intermittent errors of this type.

    The switch/hub/repeater that routes the traffic at the new location is an
    older one, if that makes any difference.

    One thing that bothers me is that the SQL Server has since (the move) been
    reporting NetBT errors in the event log (event ID 4319 "A duplicate name has
    been detected on the TCP Network"). But there are no duplicate names on my
    private tcp/ip network. I can only think that maybe that comes from the
    fact that I am using an external public DNS server on the sql server now;
    before I think I had it pointed at its own internal DNS service on the same
    box. I don't know if this error is related.

    The ASP.NET error is:

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error. Check your
    network documentation.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
    cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
    at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(SqlConnection
    connection, SqlTransaction transaction, CommandType commandType, String
    commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters, SqlConnectionOwnership
    connectionOwnership)
    at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String
    connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText,
    SqlParameter[] commandParameters)
    at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String
    connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText)
    at myprogram.myclass.mymethod()

    the method names vary and work intermittently; they are also methods calling
    stored procs that are optimized and execute quickly from Query Analyzer.

    Any thoughts/fixes?

    HK, Apr 25, 2005

  2. HK

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "HK" <> wrote in

    > I just moved an ASP.NET application to a new web server at a different
    > location of ours. The SQL Server machine was moved to that new
    > location at the same time as the web site DNS was pointed to the new
    > server. Suddenly I'm getting lots of intermittent errors of this
    > type.
    >
    > The switch/hub/repeater that routes the traffic at the new location is
    > an older one, if that makes any difference.

    > Any thoughts/fixes?

    You're having network issues - time to get your network guru to debug your
    network.

    Nothing you can do about it in ASP.NET... basically .NET is having trouble
    connecting (or maintaining a connection) to your SQL Server due to network
    issues.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Apr 25, 2005