    3. Using a TCP monitoring tool I have confirmed that the exception
    occurs *before* the request is actually sent out from my .NET program.

    Any ideas?
    x1x82, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Hmm, it sounds strange that the problem does not occur when client & server
    run on the same box.

    can you try to upload the soap request using a non dotnet client from a
    different machine than the server, and see if it reproes.

    Going by your assertion that the response is sent even before the client
    sends the request ( I am assuming here that even before the request headers
    are sent, the server has responded) , it seems to me like a server issue.
    What server is this ?

    feroze.
    =========================
    this posing is provided as-is.

    Feroze [msft], Sep 2, 2004

  3. x1x82

    x1x82 Guest

    Feroze,

    Thanks for the response.

    I think I should clarify something. In my original post I said "I get
    this response", however, the use of the word "response" is a poor
    choice. I do not get a SOAP response as my use of words suggested.

    I get a WebException that is thrown from within my .NET client
    application before the SOAP request is sent across the wire to the
    server. I verified this by watching the wire using the TCP monitoring
    tool I mentioned. The monitoring tool shows nothing going to or coming
    from the server, which tells me my .NET client application didn't
    actually get far enough to make the call.

    Hypothetically, I should be able to shutdown my server altogether and
    get this error. Since the Web Service call is never actually made. I
    will try this tomorrow.

    > can you try to upload the soap request using a non dotnet client from a
    > different machine than the server, and see if it reproes.

    Sure. I will try tomorrow.

    > What server is this ?

    JBoss Application Server running Apache.

    Here is a post from someone a couple of years ago having the same
    problem...

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q="...elm=&rnum=1

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks.

    x1x82, Sep 3, 2004
  4. x1x82

    x1x82 Guest

    Follow Up -

    I have verified that...

    1. this problem does not occur when using a non .NET client

    2. the WebException still occurs when my server is shutdown. Which
    further shows that the exception occurs *before* my .NET client sends
    the call across the wire, suggesting the exception comes from *within*
    my .NET client

    Help?

    Thanks.

    x1x82, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Can you get a sniff and share what the request/response look like ? They
    should be from before the exception occured.

    It still seems like a server issue to me., but I cant say for sure unless I
    see a sniff.

    --
    feroze

    -----------------
    This posting is provided as-is. It offers no warranties and assigns no
    rights.

    See http://weblogs.asp.net/feroze_daud for System.Net related posts.
    ----------------

    Feroze [msft], Sep 14, 2004
  6. x1x82

    x1x82 Guest

    Feroze,

    >Can you get a sniff and share what
    >the request/response look like ?

    Using a sniff confirmed that that my .NET client *is* making the Web
    Service call, however, the call does *not* get to the server. So, who
    is complaining about the large request? Our office proxy server!

    Once I configured the proxy server to accept larger requests the
    problem went away.

    But why was my .NET using our office proxy server? I didn't tell it
    to.

    Well, .NET applications, by default, use Internet Explorer's LAN
    settings. Since my IE is setup to use a proxy server my .NET app. also
    used a proxy server...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307220&ID=kb;en-us;Q307220&SD=MSDN

    Thanks Feroze.
    x1x82, Sep 16, 2004