Tab-delimited or CSV - Performance difference???

Laphan

Hi All

Due to using a combo of OLEDB/ADO/ASP and JavaScript I was having trouble
reading in CSV data so I converted my client's web site to use tab-delimited
instead. Better for me, but client is adamant that their site's recent
timeout problems are since I converted to this tab format??

God forbid, but can the end user actually be technically right?

Is there an issue using tab files rather than csv??

I noticed that if you use csv you don't need a schema.ini, but you do if you
use tab files. Does Microsoft think everybody uses CSV and work better with
this format??

Regards

Laphan

dlbjr

Laphan,

Text parsing and IO usage is a time hindrance.
If you must use a text file use XML.

Here is a nice solution:

On your machine - create the needed table in Microsoft Access. With a small
VBScript, connect to the database and open a recordset with all the fields
in the table
Save the recordset to an XML file.

Now you have a XML file that can be used as a database with a schema and
all.
You can connect to it just like a database and use SQL against it.

HTH

dlbjr

Unambit from meager knowledge of inane others,
engender uncharted sagacity.

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

He could be right in a way -- but since I don't know what you do with the
data and the amount of data, I am not sure why it would be so slow as to
create timeout problems.

I think the other user's idea of using XML is great. Plus, I don't see any
difference in CSV and Tab delimited formats -- they use some form of
delimiter.