    I would prefer a free available tool if possible.

    Thanks in advance
    Ingmar Seifert

    Ingmar Seifert, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Hi Ingmar!

    > I want to draw the bubble diagram of a state machine and include this
    > diagram in my Latex documentation.

    I use xfig for this.
    Resons: free, small, good eps-Export, available on many unix machines

    I've haerd about a Java-version, but did not test it.

    Ralf

    Ralf Hildebrandt, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Ingmar Seifert wrote:

    > I want to draw the bubble diagram of a state machine and include this
    > diagram in my Latex documentation.
    >
    > Does a tool exists where you can draw bubble diagrams of a FSM and then
    > export this to .eps or another image format?
    > I would prefer a free available tool if possible.

    On linux, xfig and dia meet those requirements.
    However, I quit using even these, when I discovered
    that I have no audience for such artwork.

    I agree with you that documentation is the
    best use for such diagrams if you have
    an interested audience.

    I have found that other geeks just want the code,
    and management only want's one bit of information:

    variable does_it_work_yet: boolean;

    My process is to start with a sketch in
    my notebook. Once the code sims ok,
    I make a simple text diagram above the case
    statement -- just enough for a memory jog.

    --Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Ingmar Seifert

    Joe Chisolm Guest

    Ingmar Seifert wrote:

    > Mike Treseler wrote:
    >> Ingmar Seifert wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to draw the bubble diagram of a state machine and include this
    >>> diagram in my Latex documentation.
    >>>

    >> I agree with you that documentation is the
    >> best use for such diagrams if you have
    >> an interested audience.

    > The reason I want to draw the bubble diagram is that I have to document
    > the VHDL-design I made as my study work.
    >

    >> I have found that other geeks just want the code,
    >> and management only want's one bit of information:
    >>
    >> variable does_it_work_yet: boolean;

    > Yes. I can imagine that.
    > I don't think that Latex is used in companies for documentation. I'm
    > pretty sure that this is all MS based.
    >

    >> My process is to start with a sketch in
    >> my notebook. Once the code sims ok,
    >> I make a simple text diagram above the case
    >> statement -- just enough for a memory jog.
    >>
    >> --Mike Treseler

    You might try a tool called Toolkit for Conceptual Modeling
    (TCM). It's free and has state diagrams, ER, and some other
    capabilities. Here's a link I found via google:
    http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm/

    --
    Joe Chisolm - Arizona

    All accounts located in Arizona.

    Joe Chisolm, Aug 1, 2003
  5. Joe Chisolm wrote:
    > Ingmar Seifert wrote:
    >
    >I want to draw the bubble diagram of a state machine and include this
    >diagram in my Latex documentation.

    > You might try a tool called Toolkit for Conceptual Modeling
    > (TCM). It's free and has state diagrams, ER, and some other
    > capabilities. Here's a link I found via google:
    > http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm/

    Thank you. It looks like this tool could fit my needs. I will try it out.

    Ingmar Seifert

    Ingmar Seifert, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Ingmar Seifert

    Pedro Claro Guest

    Xilinx comes with StateCad and it works just fine.
    I think it comes with Xilinx Webpack which you can download from
    http://www.xilinx.org

    Pedro Claro, Aug 1, 2003