URGENT: "Parser error" for all XSD datasets (production server only) - using ASP.NET and MySQL

Bobby Edward

Using ASP.NET 3.5 and MySQL (thru DevArt MyDirect.NET)...

On the production server I get a "Parser Error" for every XSD dataset. It
works perfect on my dev machine. But, on the production server I get the
error.

To troubleshoot the issue I went back to my dev machine and changed all the
connectionstrings from localhost to the remote/production server db and made
sure everything works fine. I then uploaded all the files to the production
server and this is the error I get... (It happens with all my XSD
datasets...)

Server Error in '/' Application.
Parser Error

Parser Error Message: Failed to generate code. Exception of type
'System.Data.Design.InternalException' was thrown.

Source Error:
Line 1: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
Line 2: <xs:schema id="dsCompanyTypes"
targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/dsCompanyTypes.xsd"
xmlns:mstns="http://tempuri.org/dsCompanyTypes.xsd"
xmlns="http://tempuri.org/dsCompanyTypes.xsd"
xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata"
xmlns:msprop="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msprop"
attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified">
Line 3: <xs:annotation>

Source File: /App_Code/DAL/dsCompanyTypes.xsd Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053;
ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

John Saunders

Bobby Edward said:
No ideas? This is really holding up my project...

I have no clue. I don't use Web Sites.

All I have to offer is some diagnostic advice you've probably already taken.
This seems to take place when the DataSet is being "parsed". Exactly when
does it happen? When you view any page? A particular page? Does it only
happen when you access the database?

If it happens without you accessing the database, then I recommend that you
try to create a minimal web site that reproduces the problem. This site, for
instance, would not have any reference to MySQL if that was not necessary to
reproduce the problem.

Such a site will be easy to zip up, either to post here, or on
http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio/, or to send to Microsoft Product
Support.

Bobby Edward

Thanks. It happens for any ASPX page, even non data pages.

I created a minimal website (one XSD dataset, one BLL class, one aspx page)
and it still happens. :(

I just can't afford MS product support. They are too expensive. Any
further suggestions would be appreciated... There are LOTS of really smart
people in this newsgroup....

John Saunders

Bobby Edward said:
Thanks. It happens for any ASPX page, even non data pages.

I created a minimal website (one XSD dataset, one BLL class, one aspx
page) and it still happens. :(

I just can't afford MS product support. They are too expensive. Any
further suggestions would be appreciated... There are LOTS of really
smart people in this newsgroup....

That may be true, but _this_ smart person never uses a Web Site "project",
so would never have experienced this. (I'll leave to the readers the
question of whether the fact that I don't use Web Site "projects" might not
be one of the things that qualifies me as "smart").

How about one XSD, one page, and no BLL?

How about a very simple XSD: one table, with one column?

If that still shows the problem, then it's a bug, and not something that PSS
could help you with anyway. In that case, report the bug at
http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio/. That's free, and connects
directly with the product group.

P.S. One option would be to use a Web Application Project instead of a Web
Site "project".

Bobby Edward

John Saunders said:
That may be true, but _this_ smart person never uses a Web Site "project",
so would never have experienced this. (I'll leave to the readers the
question of whether the fact that I don't use Web Site "projects" might
not be one of the things that qualifies me as "smart").

No, you definitely are smart! LOL
How about one XSD, one page, and no BLL?

Tried that with the same results.
How about a very simple XSD: one table, with one column?

Good idea. I did this but it resulted in the same thing.
If that still shows the problem, then it's a bug, and not something that
PSS could help you with anyway. In that case, report the bug at
http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio/. That's free, and connects
directly with the product group.

If this is the case, and I call Microsoft, do you know if they will charge
me for support?

I am using VS2008 SP1 with MySQL 5. I'm actually using DevArt's
MyDirect.NET to access the database (http://www.devart.com/mysqlnet/). Do
you think it could be a bug with their product?
P.S. One option would be to use a Web Application Project instead of a Web
Site "project".

Interesting. I never considered that they were different.

Thanks so much for your help. Any further suggestions are very much
welcomed! Take care....

Bobby Edward

FIX:

Register the data provider in the web.config file. Add this section to it:

<configuration>

<appSettings/>

<system.data>
<DbProviderFactories>
<add name="MyDirect .NET" invariant="CoreLab.MySql" description="CoreLab
MyDirect .NET"
type="CoreLab.MySql.MySqlDirectFactory, CoreLab.MySql" />
</DbProviderFactories>
</system.data>

</configuration>