Validation Summary Control not displaying MessageBox

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Chris Lane, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Chris Lane

    Chris Lane Guest

    Hi,

    I have the following in my .aspx page:
    <asp:validationsummary id=VSAddStores style="Z-INDEX: 141;
    LEFT: 721px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 314px"
    runat="server" Width="370px" Height="126px"
    BackColor="Gainsboro" ShowMessageBox="True"
    ShowSummary="False" HeaderText="The Following errors
    occurred:"></asp:validationsummary>

    I also have a RequiredFieldValidator connnected to a Text
    Box.

    When I submit the form with no value in the TextBox I
    expected to see a messagebox client side using the VS
    control, however I do not.

    I also noticed that the EnableClientScript Property does
    not seem to stay when I set it.

    Is this some kind of bug?

    I am using VS.NET 2002.

    Thanks
    Chris Lane, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Chris Lane

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    validation controls rely on a clientvalidation script which must be located
    in the root web folder. The script is located in the aspnet_client folder.
    Make sure that this is there. Or where ever it is located, the path in the
    clientvalidation node in the machine config file must point to it.
    Due to certain browser settings, the error message may not appear when the
    file is not found. In that case, validation simply fails silently.

    Regards

    --

    -----------
    Got TidBits?

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Chris Lane

    Chris Lane Guest

    OK I checked and it's there.
    >Make sure that this is there. Or where ever it is

    located, the path in the
    >clientvalidation node in the machine config file must

    point to it.

    So Just the machine config file not the web config?

    Chris Lane, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Chris Lane

    Chris Lane Guest

    Hmm,I don't see a clientvalidation node in the
    machine.config file.

    Chris Lane, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Chris Lane

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    Sorry
    the node you need to look for is <webControls> it is part of the
    <processModel> tree in the machine config file. It will contain a path
    similar to
    <webControls clientScriptsLocation="/aspnet_client/{0}/{1}/" />

    When validation is required, the path pointed to by the
    clientscriptslocation attribute is used to find the webuivalidation.js file
    which handles validation. Most often the path pointed to isn't where the
    aspnet_client file resides and validation fails.

    I should have verified all this before posting incorrect information.

    Regards

    --

    -----------

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Chris Lane

    Chris Lane Guest

    Ok I do see this in the machine.config file:
    <webControls clientScriptsLocation="/aspnet_client/{0}/
    {1}/"/>
    BTW-Validation is occuring because I do see the summary
    list,and if I make the RFV visible I see that too when an
    error occurs, I just don't see the message box.

    Chris Lane, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Chris Lane

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    ok, do you have ShowMessageBox set to true?

    --

    -----------

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 24, 2003
  8. Chris Lane

    Chris Lane Guest

    Yep ShowMessageBox is set to true and I am using IE 6.0 to
    test.

    Chris Lane, Nov 24, 2003
  9. Chris Lane

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    where is your aspnet_client folder located on your hard drive?

    and

    what is the home directory path mapped to? Find this out from properties of
    the default web sites folder under IIS manager.

    --

    -----------

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 24, 2003
  10. Chris Lane

    Chris Lane Guest

    It's on under INETPUB and it is in each web on my IIS
    server. Each one is mapped correctly. This particular web
    is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot

    Chris Lane, Nov 24, 2003
  11. Chris Lane

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    You mean it is under inetpub\wwwroot right? Validation will not work if the
    folder is in inetpub, it must be in wwwroot. If that's not the case I cannot
    help you further. I suggest you use this link to enlist a microsoft support
    person to help you further. You have 3 free requests available to you, after
    that you will need to pay for support. If you haven't used it, please take
    the time to fill a trouble ticket. Usually, a support person will contact
    you within a day or so.

    https://webresponse.one.microsoft.com/oas/public/assistedintro.aspx
    regards

    --