VWD 2005!!!

Adam Knight

Hi all,

I am about to start a new project!!

Until now i have been using ASP.NET Web Matrix a little reluctantly...
I have started reading about VWD and like what i read!!

My question is for those already using it!

Obviously, my clients won't have ASP.NET 2.0 hosting, so i am wondering if i
can
develop in VWD and deploy to a ASP.NET 1.1 server. Assuming i shy away from
using ASP.NET 2.0
specific libraries & functionality.

Are all the other controls & libraries not specific to ASP.NET 2.0 specific
fully backwards compatible??

Cheers,
Adam

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Hi Adam,

Lots of hosts offer 2.0 hosting now and Beta 2 comes with a go-live license
so your client shouldn't have any problem finding a host. Also, I think the
actual release is less than a month away so if your project is going to last
into next month you'l be all set to go (on the 7th I think) with the real
thing. Good luck! Ken.

Adam Knight

Ken,

Thanks for the reply!!!

I understand that their are hosts out their now offering 2.0 support, the go
live license option,
and that 2.0 is released early next month.

However, I am developing for a multi-national corporate client and can't
rely on their immediate adoption of ASP.NET 2.0.
Consequently, my question stilll stands can i develop using VWD and deploy
to a 1.1 server if i neglect to use 2.0 specific functionality.

IE: Backwards compatibility when developing in VWD????

Cheers,
Adam

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Hi Adam,

I don't know if VWD can do that. I doubt it would be easy. I've seen a lot
threads about this with VS.Net 2005 and the answer is always no. You might
want to think about moving to VS.Net instead of VWD if this is going to be a
big project, especially if it will ever be handed off to a team. It might
at least be worth seeing what it takes if anything to load a VWD solution
into VS.Net 2005 in case that scenario is a future possibility. Good luck!
Ken.