web space ?

Paul Haas

Hello,

I am teaching a Intro to Internet class and one of the later chapter
introduces HTML. I would like for my students to do a small web page using
HTML. Can anyone recommend free web space which will allow the use of HTML?
Also, I looking for myself as well and don't mind paying. I heard that Yahoo
Geocities is decent. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Hywel

Hello,

I am teaching a Intro to Internet class and one of the later chapter
introduces HTML. I would like for my students to do a small web page using
HTML. Can anyone recommend free web space which will allow the use of HTML?
Also, I looking for myself as well and don't mind paying. I heard that Yahoo
Geocities is decent. Any opinions would be appreciated.

You're teaching HTML and need web space that will "allow the use of
HTML"? Something doesn't ring true with that statement.

Frogleg

I am teaching a Intro to Internet class and one of the later chapter
introduces HTML. I would like for my students to do a small web page using
HTML. Can anyone recommend free web space which will allow the use of HTML?
Also, I looking for myself as well and don't mind paying. I heard that Yahoo
Geocities is decent. Any opinions would be appreciated.

If you can afford 15 bucks for a domain name, AffordableHost.com will
give you free space. No ads, and a nice cPanel front end.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Paul Haas said:
Hello,

I am teaching a Intro to Internet class and one of the later chapter
introduces HTML. I would like for my students to do a small web page using
HTML. Can anyone recommend free web space which will allow the use of HTML?
Also, I looking for myself as well and don't mind paying. I heard that Yahoo
Geocities is decent. Any opinions would be appreciated.

We have a free hosting solution, as well as larger paid ones. You just need
a domain name (bring your own or get one from us). We also offer a 30% non
profit discount on the paid packages.

--Tina

http://www.affordablehost.com , serving the web since 1997

Paul Haas

Hywel,

My statement simply stated, I'm teaching an Intro to the Internet class, and
one of the later chapter introduces HTML. I would like for my students to do
a simple web site using HTML It is not a HTML or web design class. I just
want my students to be somewhat familiar with how a web site is designed
using HTML.

Sam Hughes

Hello,

I am teaching a Intro to Internet class and one of the later chapter
introduces HTML. I would like for my students to do a small web page
using HTML. Can anyone recommend free web space which will allow the
use of HTML? Also, I looking for myself as well and don't mind paying.
I heard that Yahoo Geocities is decent. Any opinions would be
appreciated.

<http://www.portland.co.uk/>

David Dorward

Paul Haas wrote:

Please don't top post.
I just want my students to be somewhat familiar with how a web site is
designed using HTML.

Websites are, or at least should, not be "designed using HTML". The content
should be marked up with HTML, and then the design should be applied using
CSS.

Hywel's point, I believe, was that the level of knowledge you _appear_ to
have would make you a very poor teacher of the subject.

Paul Haas

Once again, I AM NOT TEACHING a web design class. Don't make inferences
without factual information. Hence, "you _appear_ to
have". I think my point was missed here. Anyway, thanks to all who
responded with a few links to web hosting sites.

David Dorward

Paul Haas wrote:

I asked you not to top post, this is because such practise is frowned upon
in this newsgroup. Please respect that.
Once again, I AM NOT TEACHING a web design class.

You said "I'm teaching an Intro to the Internet class" and "the later
chapter introduces HTML".

You also said "I would like for my students to do a simple web site using
HTML".

So - are you teaching HTML as part of this class? If so then you should have
a reasonable understanding of the subject, even though it isn't the primary
focus of the class.

If you are not teaching HTML, why do you expect your students to create a
website? Do you expect them to find third party sources of information? If
so, how will you judge the quality of their work?

Hywel

Once again, I AM NOT TEACHING a web design class. Don't make inferences
without factual information.

In future, perhaps you should *give* factual information. You said you
are going to be teaching HTML (a later chapter) so that your students
can make a web page. Gawd 'elp 'em.

Paul Hass

Perhaps you should go F**K yourself!!!!!
Hywel said:
In future, perhaps you should *give* factual information. You said you
are going to be teaching HTML (a later chapter) so that your students
can make a web page. Gawd 'elp 'em.

Paul Hass

I apologize to the people on this group for my last remark. I simply came
here asking a question about free web hosting, because I'm teaching an Intro
to Internet class. Yes, the class does have one chapter which discusses some
HTML. I wanted the students to do a one or two page web site using a few
HTML tags. Just to be somewhat familiar with how the tags and format works.
Hell, I may just have them do a little HTML in notepad and view it in a
browser. This is the scope of what I want to do. I did not approach the
group claiming to be an expert in HTML, XML, CSS, etc. Yet, I get degrading
comments from a few people. Once again, I apologize to the folks here, and
many thanks to those who offered constructive information.

Hywel

Perhaps you should go F**K yourself!!!!!

You really are an idiot and most certainly shouldn't be teaching the
subject - you can't even understand your own question or realise how
absurd it was. A web host that supports HTML? Surely no such thing
exists.

Paul Hass

Thanks for that really constructive comment. My fault! A web host that
PROVIDES a HTML editor.

David Dorward

Paul said:
Thanks for that really constructive comment. My fault! A web host that
PROVIDES a HTML editor.

Which is something _entirely_ different... and also something that makes
learning HTML pointless (as I've yet to see any web page HTML generator
produce anything that comes close to being reasonable enough to edit by
hand)

Neal

Thanks for that really constructive comment. My fault! A web host that
PROVIDES a HTML editor.

Geocities does this, but I'd avoid it. This will result in poor code and
misunderstanding of how it works. I would not teach students in a basic
woodworking class about some special tool and that they can expect it to
do the work for them. The student needs to be able to follow a plan and
use the tool safely and wisely to get good results, just as in HTML.

Best bet is to teach students to type out the code by hand into a text
editor - Notepad if necessary. Teach them to use a doctype (HTML 4.01
Strict), the traditional head/body form, the heading elements, the
paragraph element, inline elements like a and img, and a brief discussion
of how CSS is used to affect the presentation.

If there's time, use the tool and show why the results can be horrible.
Let them see that it's their understanding of how a webpage does and
doesn't work and of proper use of HTML tools that will make their page
good or bad, not the particular tool itself. A hammer in the hands of an
idiot might not drive a nail, but in the hands of a skilled carpenter it
certainly can.

Paul Hass

Thanks David and Neal,

David, I agree with you 100%. I just didn't what else I could do in the
amount of time I have to spend on the subject. Neal, you made some good
points. I wish I had more time to spend on the subject, but I actually have
about two classes (3-4 hours each) and 3-6 hours lab time.

Thanks again

Paul