WebService ignoring timeout properties? (Server was unable to process request. --> Timeout exired)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Lars-Erik Aabech, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. Hi!

    I have a webservice serving the latest orders from a webshop. The customer
    uses a forms app client to fetch these orders and push them into the ERP
    system manually. (Yes, they really want to :p )

    WebService code runs 3 SqlCommands that has timeouts set to 300 sec. Client
    WebService proxy has a timeout of 900 sec. Every once and a while (each
    monday - probably 'cause of more orders during the week-end) the server runs
    the commands when called, but the client reports "Server was unable to
    process request. --> Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to
    completion of the operation or the server is not responding.".

    This happens after 30-90 sec. (At least, so I'm told) It struck me this
    morning that it could be the ASP Script Timout, but I created a test
    webservice that sleeps for 2 minutes before returning. This service returned
    successfully after 2 minutes- gracefully ignoring my httpRequest timeout
    setting in machine.config and the ASP Script Timeout setting of IIS. My
    conclution so far is that the problem is somewhere else.

    Seen this prob. in other threads, but never found any reasonable
    explanation/solution.

    Hope someone can help! :)

    Lars-Erik

    Lars-Erik Aabech, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Lars-Erik Aabech

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    Since your test web service didn't expire, we can confirm the configration
    in IIS and Machine.config is OK. Have you check the web.config for the two
    web services? Is there any difference? Also, it is important to make usre
    the time the exception occurred, just 30~90 seconds or more? And, is it
    ASP.NET timeout or SQL command timeout? When you call the SQL command in
    web service, have you added some exception handling code to handle such
    time out exception from SQL?

    Luke

    [MSFT], Apr 26, 2005

  3. Hi! Thanks for your reply.

    I'm actually a bit confused. I've been convinced that my webservice code set
    timeouts for the SqlCommands. Seems like it doesn't. I'll do something about
    it and probably won't return to this thread if it checks out. ;)

    Lars-Erik

    Lars-Erik Aabech, Apr 28, 2005
  4. Lars-Erik Aabech

    [MSFT] Guest

    Thank you for update. If you had further question, please feel free to post
    here.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Apr 29, 2005