WebService ignoring timeout properties? (Server was unable to process request. --> Timeout exired)

Lars-Erik Aabech

Hi!

I have a webservice serving the latest orders from a webshop. The customer
uses a forms app client to fetch these orders and push them into the ERP
system manually. (Yes, they really want to :p )

WebService code runs 3 SqlCommands that has timeouts set to 300 sec. Client
WebService proxy has a timeout of 900 sec. Every once and a while (each
monday - probably 'cause of more orders during the week-end) the server runs
the commands when called, but the client reports "Server was unable to
process request. --> Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to
completion of the operation or the server is not responding.".

This happens after 30-90 sec. (At least, so I'm told) It struck me this
morning that it could be the ASP Script Timout, but I created a test
webservice that sleeps for 2 minutes before returning. This service returned
successfully after 2 minutes- gracefully ignoring my httpRequest timeout
setting in machine.config and the ASP Script Timeout setting of IIS. My
conclution so far is that the problem is somewhere else.

Seen this prob. in other threads, but never found any reasonable
explanation/solution.

Hope someone can help! :)

Lars-Erik

[MSFT]

Hello,

Since your test web service didn't expire, we can confirm the configration
in IIS and Machine.config is OK. Have you check the web.config for the two
web services? Is there any difference? Also, it is important to make usre
the time the exception occurred, just 30~90 seconds or more? And, is it
ASP.NET timeout or SQL command timeout? When you call the SQL command in
web service, have you added some exception handling code to handle such
time out exception from SQL?

Luke

Lars-Erik Aabech

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I'm actually a bit confused. I've been convinced that my webservice code set
timeouts for the SqlCommands. Seems like it doesn't. I'll do something about
it and probably won't return to this thread if it checks out. ;)

Lars-Erik

[MSFT]

Thank you for update. If you had further question, please feel free to post
here.

Luke