A good asp.net architecture for a large project (sort of newbie)

Gus

Hi,
I'm helping a software development business to upgrade a (VB6 to Asp.net)
commercial software they sell.
We wanted to know what would be the best architecture(in ASP.NET) to use as
base for this large project.
Especifically, the current application uses any (odbc) database and displays
trees of information for "Balance Scorecards".

So this are the questions:
1. What would be the best programming architecture for a large project (300+
tables) that needs to connect to any database(access,sqlserver,mysql,oracle)
as main database? Some code sample would be greatly appreciated (email:
"info at improve. co. cr")
2. What would be the most efficient way to display large trees in asp.net?
(tried a 3d party grid control that loaded everything staticly and took a
LOT of time)
3. Is it better to use Web Services or Dlls for data access?

Thanks for your help
Gus

Gopal \(FMS, Inc.\)

1. What would be the best programming architecture for a large project
(300+
tables) that needs to connect to any database(access,sqlserver,mysql,oracle)
as main database? Some code sample would be greatly appreciated (email:
"info at improve. co. cr")
I would recommend a layer for data-access, a layer for the business
objects and the ASP.NET presentation layer. If the website will have high
traffic, look up caching, design sessions carefully and keep it simple.
2. What would be the most efficient way to display large trees in asp.net?
(tried a 3d party grid control that loaded everything staticly and took a
LOT of time)
http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/ControlDetail.aspx?Control=75&tabindex=2
describer Microsoft IE treeview control and how to use it. You may want to
design a proof of concept and then implement it on your system.
3. Is it better to use Web Services or Dlls for data access?
Will the data be required by other applications over the internet? If yes,
go with a web service. If the answer is no, dlls should be just fine. You
can always write web service wrappers around the dlls later if there is a
need for web services.

Hope this helps.
--
Gopal Rangaswamy