A good compiler

Ben Bacarisse

Mark McIntyre said:
Sure, but there's a difference between a bias against K&R style
braces, or warm beer, and an undeclared financial interest in a
product you're recommending. I sincerely hope most people here can see
the difference.

Agreed. I was saying that what Chris Hills seemed to want (all
interests *and biases* to be declared) was not practical. I'd want
people declare interests, whether financial or not. For example, if I
post that UCL is an excellent place to study CS, I would point out
that I used to teach there even though there is no financial
interest. A long association with an institution may well be seen as
an "interest" that could be presumed to influence judgment (both
ways!).
I don't think anyone is suggesting this.

Well I thought CH *was* and hence my posting. He complained of "FOSS
Devotees" pushing FOSS without declaring an interest and, when pushed,
he clarified that as "an interest (or bias)". How do I tell if I am a
"FOSS Devotee" (his caps)? What biases do I have then need declaring
here? I thought going that far was impractical.
You /do/ realise the
relationship between JN and lcc-win32 I presume?

Yes, I think I do.

Richard

Ben Bacarisse said:
Agreed. I was saying that what Chris Hills seemed to want (all
interests *and biases* to be declared) was not practical. I'd want
people declare interests, whether financial or not. For example, if I
post that UCL is an excellent place to study CS, I would point out
that I used to teach there even though there is no financial
interest. A long association with an institution may well be seen as
an "interest" that could be presumed to influence judgment (both
ways!).

Well I thought CH *was* and hence my posting. He complained of "FOSS
Devotees" pushing FOSS without declaring an interest and, when pushed,
he clarified that as "an interest (or bias)". How do I tell if I am a
"FOSS Devotee" (his caps)? What biases do I have then need declaring
here? I thought going that far was impractical.

Yes, I think I do.

What about the fact that many people can use it for free? How does that
equate any more differently to someone like CBFalconer constantly
offering his "C libraries"?

The fact is that this is a C group and Jacob offers a free C environment
that people can use.

As usual, this has gone totally too far and the attempts to discredit
Jacob are, frankly, rather pathetic and misplaced.

Richard Heathfield

Richard said:

As usual, this has gone totally too far and the attempts to discredit
Jacob are, frankly, rather pathetic and misplaced.

Nobody is trying to discredit Jacob. He is doing that himself. We are
trying to help him to *stop* discrediting himself.

Ben Bacarisse

Richard said:
What about the fact that many people can use it for free? How does that
equate any more differently to someone like CBFalconer constantly
offering his "C libraries"?

I am quote happy with both terms of use.
As usual, this has gone totally too far and the attempts to discredit
Jacob are, frankly, rather pathetic and misplaced.

I have no desire to discredit Jacob. I was discrediting the idea that
somehow we should all declare our "biases". I prefer people to up
front about their interests, but I won't complain about lapses unless
I think there is some attempt at deception. Personally, I don't think
there was here.

mmcconnell17704

test.c(7) : warning C4996: 'strcpy': This function or variable may be
unsafe. Consider using strcpy_s instead.

I just suppress this warning. On the command line, add /wd4996

jacob navia

I just suppress this warning. On the command line, add /wd4996

But that would suppose that you read the documentation about
suppressing warnings...

You can't do that with a product of the evil empire...

Harald van =?UTF-8?B?RMSzaw==?=

Flash said:
Harald van Dijk wrote, On 26/07/07 18:00:
jacob said:
Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
[snips]

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:54:31 +0100, Chris Hills wrote:

It's blindingly obvious what his relationship is when you go to the
lcc-win32 website to get the FREE download of the compiler and other
tools.

It is defiantly NOT commercial but FREE software (if not open source)
"This software is not freeware, it is copyrighted by Jacob Navia. It's
free for non-commercial use, if you use it professionally you have to
have to buy a licence."

You keep saying it is free, when he goes out of his way to say
otherwise. Since it's his product, I suspect I'll believe him, rather
than you.
It is free for non commercial use. What else do you want?

Cygwin is free for non commercial use. If you want commercial use
you have to buy a license from redhat.

You are mistaken. Cygwin is free for both non-commercial and commercial
use.

Unless they have changed the license since I investigated it a few years
back it depends on the type of commercial use. You cannot distribute a
closed source program linked against the Cygwin DLL without paying a
license fee.

There are restrictions on distribution, and those restrictions affect both
commercial and non-commercial software, and affect both open and closed
source software. There are no restrictions whatsoever on use.

CBFalconer

Richard said:
.... snip ...

What about the fact that many people can use it for free? How does
that equate any more differently to someone like CBFalconer
constantly offering his "C libraries"?

The fact is that this is a C group and Jacob offers a free C
environment that people can use.

As usual, this has gone totally too far and the attempts to
discredit Jacob are, frankly, rather pathetic and misplaced.

One major difference that I see is that my offerings are totally
free, include source code, and are (generally) written in purely
standard portable C. (The nmalloc package is an exception, but that
is unavoidable). Some are offered under GPL, some are placed in
the public domain.

CBFalconer

Ben said:
.... snip ...

I have no desire to discredit Jacob. I was discrediting the idea
that somehow we should all declare our "biases". I prefer people
to up front about their interests, but I won't complain about
lapses unless I think there is some attempt at deception.
Personally, I don't think there was here.

Actually I suspect that Jacob is a perfectly nice guy, with a
collection of misassumptions about Usenet and c.l.c. He also
displays an absolute genius for finding means to rub everybody the
wrong way, together with an apparent inability to learn anything
new.

Mark McIntyre

Yeah, right, and Elvis is alive and living in Slough.

All the more reason for the friendly bombs to fall.[/QUOTE]

:)
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Mark McIntyre

I thought it was Area 51.

I heard he moved to Calais after reading something in the paper about
the good burghers...

I'll get me coat.
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Mark McIntyre

Err, define "valid code" first.

)Must I do everything round here? :=)

A compiler that emits a stack of diagnostics for the canonical "hello
world" programme needs taking out and shooting.
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Mark McIntyre

Kelsey said:
[snips]

So it is _not_ actually freeware. It's shareware.
So what are the versions of Linux and Gcc you have to pay for?

*What* are they? Don't know, don't care. The relevant point is *where*
are they, and more specifically, noting that they are *not* here,

A search for "linux" in the *subject* line in comp.lang.c
yields 48 hits in my machine...

most of which will be *you*, posting in this thread. The balance will
be noobs asking offtopic questions.

What was it they say about statistics?
A search for lcc-win32 in the subject line yields zero.

Inevitably, since you sneak it into the bodies of other people's
posts.

By the way these meaningless stats indicate that either you're very
naive or incredibly weaselly. I suspect the latter, on past form.

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre said:
A compiler that emits a stack of diagnostics for the canonical "hello
world" programme needs taking out and shooting.

I agree with the underlying point, but *which* canonical "hello world"
program are you referring to? The one in K&R1:

main()
{
printf("hello, world\n");
}

invokes undefined behavior by calling printf with no prototype in
scope; it also (in C90, not C99) returns an undefined completion
status to the environment, and fails to declare the return type of
main (valid in C90, invalid in C99, considered poor style in both).

None of these are fair criticisms, of course, since K&R1 was published
in 1978, when these considerations didn't apply.

The version in K&R2 is identical apart from the addition of
'#include <stdio.h>'.

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre said:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:15:25 +0200, in comp.lang.c , jacob navia

most of which will be *you*, posting in this thread. The balance will
be noobs asking offtopic questions.
[...]

The subject of this thread is "a good compiler"; the word "linux"
doesn't appear.

I agree (without having checked) that most occurrences of "linux" in
subject headers here are either off-topic, or topical questions where
the poster provides more information than is necessary.

Mark McIntyre

[...]

The subject of this thread is "a good compiler"; the word "linux"
doesn't appear.

True - thats a fair cop!
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Richard Heathfield

Richard Bos said:
All the more reason for the friendly bombs to fall.

The possibility that Elvis is living in Slough is not really an adequate
reason to bomb Slough. Slough, however, is a perfectly adequate reason
to bomb Slough.

MOUNTAIN KING

Can anyone suggest me a good compiler for(c/cpp) for windows?
I tried dev cpp but its debugging facility is very poor.

U CAN TRY codeblocks opensource compiler