A Mascot...

Mayuresh Kathe

Nice try on your part, yet laughable. You stated "essential", and I
countered by implying that it was not essential, and now you twist
that around to "irrelevant" (a cheap strawman wearing a sign that says
"your logic"), and throw in Matz's name.

Your analytical system is seriously flawed and so is your logic.
Each community wanted one, obviously.

So what is stopping the Ruby community from wanting one?
That's a question which has been asked before, "why" doesn't the Ruby
community want a mascot?
Anyone worthy of being referred to as a programmer knows that taste is
subjective, this is only obvious . . . yet the concept is obviously
alien to you.

There you go off at a tangent again.
Taste can sometimes also be absolute.
All Apple products are tastefully done, that's an accepted fact.

But then again, taste is a concept obviously alien to you.
How old are you again?

31.

~Mayuresh

MRH

Your analytical system is seriously flawed and so is your logic.

Interesting, coming from you. See below.
So what is stopping the Ruby community from wanting one?

The question makes no sense. Nothing is "stopping the Ruby community
from wanting" a mascot. People simply do not want one. The reasons are
in all likelihood multiple, and do not need to be justified.
That's a question which has been asked before, "why" doesn't the Ruby
community want a mascot?

Once again, if the community wanted one, one would already exist.
That's more than obvious. See above.
There you go off at a tangent again.

I do not think tangent means what you think it means.
Taste can sometimes also be absolute.

False. Ludicrous.
All Apple products are tastefully done, that's an accepted fact.

A fact? That's ridiculous, stating that something as subjective as
finding Apple products to feature tasteful design is "an accepted
fact." Laughable, that is.
But then again, taste is a concept obviously alien to you.

Even if that were so (and you have no way of knowing this) I can at
least differentiate between objective and subjective.

I am shocked, I figured you were a teenager.

MRH

David Masover

All Apple products are tastefully done, that's an accepted fact.

It's too late, and I'm too tired to give this the hearty laugh it deserves...

A fact would be that _many_ Apple products have received good reviews for
design -- and even then, "many" is a subjective quantity. (How many? What
percentage? is "many"?)

Closer would be a fact stating that a certain percentage of consumers you
asked approve of Apple's design, in general -- or maybe they approve of the
iPhone, in particular.

Whether they actually _are_ tasteful is opinion, not fact.

In fact, the first iMacs were widely regarded tasteless, at least among people
I know. Were they wrong? If so, why?

Bill Kelly

From: "David Masover said:
It's too late, and I'm too tired to give this the hearty laugh it deserves...

Bemused chuckle accompanied by a slightly incredulous and rueful
head shake here.

A fact would be that _many_ Apple products have received good reviews for
design -- and even then, "many" is a subjective quantity. (How many? What
percentage? is "many"?)

Closer would be a fact stating that a certain percentage of consumers you
asked approve of Apple's design, in general -- or maybe they approve of the
iPhone, in particular.

Whether they actually _are_ tasteful is opinion, not fact.

In fact, the first iMacs were widely regarded tasteless, at least among people
I know. Were they wrong? If so, why?

Indeed. Anyone remember when Apple's QuickTime Player was
inducted into the Interface Hall of Shame?

http://homepage.mac.com/bradster/iarchitect/qtime.htm

Seems like only yesterday. (A quick spot check on the
current Windows version of the player reveals the persistence
of some of these misfeatures after nearly a decade...!
After opening the QuickTime Player application, one
still can't drag movies from the desktop onto the weird
QuickTime "home page" window that presents itself by
default. I just launched a movie player application, and
can't drop movies onto it? ... And the volume slider is
not visually disabled, but becomes immobile whenever the
volume has been muted...with no visual cue whatsoever.
I just spent a good 10-15 mouse clicks puzzling over
why the volume slider wouldn't move. Maybe because the
movie was paused? No... Hmm... Maybe this movie doesn't
have an audio track? No? ... etc.)

It's clear Apple was attempting to be _stylish_ with
their interface.

But in order for the result to be considered tasteful it
should probably meet some basic criteria like not sucking.

(Ugh... anyway... apologies for the off-topic post.)

Regards,

Bill

Phlip

Bill said:
Bemused chuckle accompanied by a slightly incredulous and rueful
head shake here.

I was pairing with a mac user recently. The text carat was here:

ab|c

To delete c, they typed Right, then Delete.

It was really sad to watch...

Mayuresh Kathe

Interesting, coming from you. See below.

The question makes no sense. Nothing is "stopping the Ruby community
from wanting" a mascot. People simply do not want one. The reasons are
in all likelihood multiple, and do not need to be justified.

Once again, if the community wanted one, one would already exist.
That's more than obvious. See above.

I do not think tangent means what you think it means.

False. Ludicrous.

A fact? That's ridiculous, stating that something as subjective as
finding Apple products to feature tasteful design is "an accepted
fact." Laughable, that is.

Even if that were so (and you have no way of knowing this) I can at
least differentiate between objective and subjective.

I am shocked, I figured you were a teenager.

This thing is going to go on for ever, it's pointless discussing
issues of community building and taste with someone like you.

And this thread has gone on way too long, I will no more post on this thread.

This community is really great, don't want to pollute it with a
discussion that is going no where.

Best,

~Mayuresh

MRH

This thing is going to go on for ever, it's pointless discussing
issues of community building and taste with someone like you.

If it is pointless it is only because you have clearly demonstrated
that you haven't the slightest clue. This community is driven by an
exceptional programming language the design of which has more taste
than you can fathom. If you could, you would not have kicked off this
thread. I found your focus on a cartoon mascot to be offensive in that
it implicitly belittles the virtues and merits of the Ruby programming
language. The language does not need a cartoon mascot, it stands tall
on its own merit.
And this thread has gone on way too long, I will no more post on this thread.

You referred to the amount of discussion as something positive in an
earlier post. What happened pray tell?
This community is really great, don't want to pollute it with a
discussion that is going no where.

You already have I am afraid. I must hand it to you, you managed to
irk me (and several other members as far as I can see) and this tends
to be a comparatively cool and laid back crowd.

MRH

Clinton D. Judy

Wow, I haven't been in this thread for a while. Getting a little hot in
here.

I won't post about a mascot anymore, I can tell this is apparently a
pretty controversial idea. My closing thoughts: If a mascot is made and
the community rallies behind it, it will happen virally. Someone will
make a mascot on their own (or commission one on their own) anyway, and
if enough people like it, so be it.

Come to think of it, our local meetup might have fun with a locally
themed mascot.

- Clinton

[...]

reuben doetsch

how about everyone just waits for Matz to say something, everyone is just
saying, "Matz this, matz that, matz said blah blah", let's just wait for him
to say something or maybe some one ask him. It is true that most large scale
OS's or Programming languages have some symbol.
For the peopel that say that it is not necessary, the mascot is not
for anyone on this mailing list, because, obvsiouly, we are on this mailing
list because we are passionent about Ruby. The logo and masoct should be
used so people new to programming or Ruby have a association in there head
with Ruby plus something interesting or cool. The human mind remembers
images much better than it remembers words, or facts. So, instead of someone
saying, "What is that great dynamic languages with every feature I want" and
not remembering the name, they think to the logo and the logo connotates the
name. This is how many poeple who can remember a lot of things remember
them, with images that connotate the word to be remembered.

Reuben

[...]

Gah, I said I wouldn't post anymore.

We already have a symbol. A ruby. It works really well as a symbol, for
the reasons you state.

We're discussing the possibility of a mascot. I think the logo works
fine for the language, and I think the idea of a mascot was more of a
community thing. Maybe I'm mistaken. In any case, the mailing list has
at least said, by large, that they don't want a mascot.

I'm just going to use _why's foxes if I ever need to. :)

[...]

Jörg W Mittag

MRH said:
If it is pointless it is only because you have clearly demonstrated
that you haven't the slightest clue. This community is driven by an
exceptional programming language the design of which has more taste
than you can fathom.

This community is also driven by the principle "Matz is nice so we are
nice."

jwm

David Masover

To delete c, they typed Right, then Delete.

To be fair, it's now possible to get a reasonably full-sized keyboard from
Apple. It's one of the best keyboards I've ever used, as far as simply
typing -- and it does include a "delete ->" button, for what "del" does on
other keyboards (and in exactly the same place).

There are, however, MANY other things to hate about that keyboard. Simple
example: It doesn't have an insert key; it has "fn" there instead, which is
interpreted inside the keyboard (it never hits the OS). Thus, the only way to
remap it _might_ be to change the firmware inside the thing.