A Mascot...

Pablo Q.

I like it! :D, but If you haven=B4t read all post before please do it,

There are many position in the discussion:

1. Ruby doesn't need mascot.
2. Mascot must be male.
3. Ruby already have one ( an pretty manga-girl, with a nude version! cool,
isn=B4t it?).
4. It must be Human or Animal
5. Matz must decide
6. ....

2008/8/22 Karl von Laudermann said:
Actually, didn't _why create this duck to be a ruby mascot?
http://redhanded.hobix.com/images/redhanded-duck.gif

--
Pablo Q.

Avdi Grimm

From my point of view the ruby-mascot discussion is moot, because it's
too late. Perl got its camel (from the "Camel Book") in 1991. (Or
maybe it already had the camel before the book, I'm not sure). Python
has had... well, a Python since basically its inception. BSD's daemon
originated in 1976(!). Linux has had Tux since 1996.

Ruby has been around since the mid 90s and still has no
widely-recognized mascot. At this point I think it's a little late to
be trying to "backport" in a mascot. It would just feel forced and
artificial.

However, if some folks feel we absolutely *must* have a mascot, I
nominate a nice thick slice of chunky bacon.

Avdi

Home: http://avdi.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/avdi
Journal: http://avdi.livejournal.com

Gregory Brown

I like it! :D, but If you haven=B4t read all post before please do it,

There are many position in the discussion:
2. Mascot must be male.

I don't think that was David's point at all. I think he believes that
a human mascot is generally a bad idea.
3. Ruby already have one ( an pretty manga-girl, with a nude version! coo= l,
isn=B4t it?).

I think the girl is cute, but especially the nude version is a bit
patronizing. We should think about what female programmers will think
of Ruby upon encountering that. I'm sure the feelings will be varied,
but I suspect that'd seem a bit offensive to at least some people.

-greg

--=20
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com | Non-tech
stuff at: http://metametta.blogspot.com

Emmanuel Rubio

:D i'm a graphic designer. :p (if you need some one to draw or create
the mascot)

personaly, i think the best of all mascot that Ruby could have is a
racoon it fits perfect with it (not only related to de ruby and the
funny interest of racoons with shiny things) because it is the animal
that always search for the easy way to take what it needs, it is one of
the most agile, smart, fast and dexterous animals in the world (don't
forget that they have learned to use their hands and finger like human
hands and fingers in a lot of their needs) and i think that Ruby is
exactly that, it search the easiest ways to do the things, it is a smart
programing lenguage, and c'mon ruby is the only lenguage that learns to
use every word and object like the human brain... there are a lot of
behaviours more, :p well it is just my opinion ^^

any way, if you need someone to help with the design of anything just
contact me ;)

(sorry for my bad english :p)

Emmanuel Rubio
(e-mail address removed)

Pablo Q.

I think that this is the reason of why If it=B4s a Manga, it must be a girl=
(
http://www.yoshidam.net/Ruby-chan/):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan

"The OS-tans are the moe anthropomorphism/personification of several
operating systems by various amateur Japanese artists. The OS-tans are
typically depicted as women, with the OS-tans representative of Microsoft
Windows operating systems usually depicted as sisters of varying ages."

It=B4s an kind of Ruby Prog-tan!

2008/8/22 Emmanuel Rubio said:
[...]

Joost Diepenmaat

Avdi Grimm said:
From my point of view the ruby-mascot discussion is moot, because it's
too late. Perl got its camel (from the "Camel Book") in 1991. (Or
maybe it already had the camel before the book, I'm not sure). Python
has had... well, a Python since basically its inception. BSD's daemon
originated in 1976(!). Linux has had Tux since 1996.

Note that Perl's camel is not actually the official mascot; it just
looks like that because for years by far the best book on perl had
that camel on the cover. Perl/Camel combinations are still AFAIK an
O'Reilly trademark.

IIRC Amsterdam.pm even got in some hot water with O'Reilly for
suggesting this as a logo for the Amsterdam edition of YAPC-Europe,
some years ago:

http://amsterdam.pm.org/.32PyNd.gif
Ruby has been around since the mid 90s and still has no
widely-recognized mascot. At this point I think it's a little late to
be trying to "backport" in a mascot. It would just feel forced and
artificial.

However, if some folks feel we absolutely *must* have a mascot, I
nominate a nice thick slice of chunky bacon.

Getting to the point: whatever "the ruby logo/mascot" will be(come),
will be whatever iconic image is on "the best ruby book". Personally,
when I think about a ruby logo at all, I think of the "ruby gem" that
pragmatic programmers uses. Not much of a mascot, though.

Still, ruby is 45 years younger than Lisp, and THEY don't have any
kind of standard mascot either: http://lisperati.com/logo.html

Rick DeNatale

I think the girl is cute, but especially the nude version is a bit
patronizing. We should think about what female programmers will think
of Ruby upon encountering that. I'm sure the feelings will be varied,
but I suspect that'd seem a bit offensive to at least some people.

Well FWIW, I just showed Ruby to a female coworker, and she thought that:
1) She was cute and
2) The nude version showed that she was both flexible, and quite
appropriate for Ruby the language, agile!
--=20
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

Gregory Brown

Well FWIW, I just showed Ruby to a female coworker, and she thought that:
1) She was cute and
2) The nude version showed that she was both flexible, and quite
appropriate for Ruby the language, agile!

Now just show that to most other female Ruby programmers and we'll see
how they feel. I think my girlfriend probably find the manga cute.
But then again, she is Asian, and not put off by nudity.

But I cannot assume the same about most people. How many of you male
programmers would like a large, muscular, naked man as our Ruby logo?

I think that would be awesome, but I'm not sure you'll all agree...

-greg

--=20
Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com | Non-tech
stuff at: http://metametta.blogspot.com

john maclean

2008/8/22 Rick DeNatale said:
Well FWIW, I just showed Ruby to a female coworker, and she thought that:
1) She was cute and
2) The nude version showed that she was both flexible, and quite
appropriate for Ruby the language, agile!
--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

OK then!

What about the gem from the front cover of the famous book, with a
tail, (of bacon?) and legs holding a pickaxe? That way it could be
naked too __and__ be female at the same time because no one would know
what the sexuality of the gem was?

I've never understood the emacs logo and I didn't know one for lisp
existed. Is there one for bash, awk, sed....

--=20
John Maclean - 07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)

Suraj Kurapati

Gregory said:
programmers would like a large, muscular, naked man as our Ruby logo?

Why is everyone so focused on the nude drawing? There _are_ *other*
drawings on that page you know! In particular, this one embodies all
the cuteness of Ruby-chan without being offensive to Westerners:

http://www.yoshidam.net/Ruby-chan/rbcc2.gif

We should appreciate the fact that, in the spirit of the Ruby language's
TIMTOWTDI philosophy, Yoshida-san has drawn *several* variations of the
mascot on our behalf. Choose the one that suits you best and be happy!

enjoy if drawings.find {|d| self.acceptable? d }

NOT:

complain unless drawings.all? {|d| self.acceptable? d }

ma-ttaku!

Emmanuel Rubio

you are right.. there are too many people just talking about the nude
girl...

any way.. i don't like the manga girl for two reasons: if you put red
hair manga girl on google you get 160.000 images, where almost there are
50.000 diferent girls... what i'm saying is that it's not original at
all...

is not like the pinguin of linux, may there be a lot of pinguin drawings
but tux is tux...all manga characters (well almost all of them) only
diference for their hair...

an other thing is that the mascot should be EASY TO MAKE... that's why
you don't see a full painted and drawed super hero as a logo, maybe
there are their siluete, simple lines or representative things but not a
complete person.

The ruby girl could be as a Special character for ruby (like a tutorial
guide or inviting ruby things) and a mascot (for general porpuse, like
identiti, simbol, mark, etc...)

Bill Kelly

From: "Phlip said:
Unless I'm mistaken, I think someone googled for "ruby manga", and then
pretended an artist had ever heard of our little programming language...

"Ruby -- now with mammalian protruberances!"

;)

Strange; I'm pretty sure I was on ruby-talk before and during the initial
mascot proposals, but I'm not able to locate the initial "ruby-chan"
proposal message in my archives.

Here's an early post that mentions the ruby manga character as
having been illustrated by a Japanese rubyist (which jibes with
memory)... but goes on to propose a Ruby Crowned Kinglet
instead:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/14121

Anyway, I remember all this from 2001... If we *had* to have a mascot,
I thought the ruby crowned kinglet was pretty cool...

But I'm perfectly happy with:
=> nil

:)

Regards,

Bill

MRH

(SNIP)

If Ruby needed a mascot it would have one by now. This attempting to
force it to have one is a silly waste of time.

(back to the code - which is what matters)

MRH

Mayuresh Kathe

What you find silly might now be silly to another, else there wouldn't
have been such a long discussion about a topic which was run through
before.

A logo and a mascot are a few of the essential items to forming a
community, it helps to rally the members better.

~Mayuresh

Tommy Morgan

Regardless of whether or not I agree with that... you have a self-selection
problem.
The people who have formed the ruby community did so without the aid of a
mascot. So it's easy to see how the community as it exists now is one that
doesn't see the need for some avatar to represent the language - the
language is the language, and they love it for the reasons that they love
it, and that's that.
Attempting to force a community to adopt anything will do nothing but spin
tires. Especially if that community is spontaneous and decentralized, like
the ruby community is.

If a mascot ever does get adopted, I'd be willing to bet it'd be more of a
viral adoption than as part of a "let's sit around and pitch ideas for a
mascot" email thread.

--Tommy M.
http://www.duwanis.com

SugHimsi==SUGIHARA Hiroshi

Hi Bill,

:
: Here's an early post that mentions the ruby manga character as
: having been illustrated by a Japanese rubyist (which jibes with
: memory)... but goes on to propose a Ruby Crowned Kinglet
: instead:
:
: http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/14121
:
:
: Anyway, I remember all this from 2001... If we *had* to have a mascot,
: I thought the ruby crowned kinglet was pretty cool...
:
: But I'm perfectly happy with:
:
: >> defined? Mascot
: => nil
:
:
: :)

* I'm actually not for having official Ruby mascot in any sense.
* And I'm not an apt person to comment on this issue, since I had lost
what mascot proposals are given in the URL mentioned above.
* Ancient history, anyway.

Just to point out the illustration in your memory is perhaps around here:

<http://www.clio.ne.jp/home/web-i31s/Flotuard/Ruby/ruby-chan-s.html>
(Ruby-chan-s' portal, since 2001)

Hope in a weekend to cast a glance with a smile.