accessing physical memory mapped to a pci board

john

I would like to view physical memory that is mapped to a pci board. I
am using a tool called WinIO to try to create a virtual address to
that physical memory. It works for both read and write of some
addresses, like 0x9FFF0. However, the resource the board uses is
address at 0xE8100000 which I cannot pick up with the tool. I have
confirmed that address in windows device manager and in the BAR0 entry
in the table that the PCI board registers with windows. Is there some
protection in Windows that I must circumvent to view that memory?

I am running an XP box. The board's driver is installed and the board
is functioning properly in windows while I am trying to read the
memory. I have 1 GB of physical RAM and a swap file of 1.5 GB. (the
memory address that PCI board is at appears to be about 3.8 GB
offset... I'm not sure about that either)

I appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thanks,
John

Quentin Godfroy

[...]

This is far out of the scope of this newsgroup. You should try some
more specific newsgroups.

Keith Thompson

john said:
I would like to view physical memory that is mapped to a pci board. I
am using a tool called WinIO to try to create a virtual address to
that physical memory. It works for both read and write of some
addresses, like 0x9FFF0. However, the resource the board uses is
address at 0xE8100000 which I cannot pick up with the tool. I have
confirmed that address in windows device manager and in the BAR0 entry
in the table that the PCI board registers with windows. Is there some
protection in Windows that I must circumvent to view that memory?
[...]

You're asking a Windows question, not a C question.

comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 *might* be the right place to ask,
but I'm not sure.

jacob navia

john said:
[...]

You have to build a device driver John. That is outside the scope of
this group. Try one of the device drivers groups in the msnews
server. They are followed by dedicated microsoft professionals
that are very competent and will tell you exactly what you
have to do. I always found there very helpful people.