accessing physical memory mapped to a pci board

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by john, May 30, 2007.

  1. john

    john Guest

    I would like to view physical memory that is mapped to a pci board. I
    am using a tool called WinIO to try to create a virtual address to
    that physical memory. It works for both read and write of some
    addresses, like 0x9FFF0. However, the resource the board uses is
    address at 0xE8100000 which I cannot pick up with the tool. I have
    confirmed that address in windows device manager and in the BAR0 entry
    in the table that the PCI board registers with windows. Is there some
    protection in Windows that I must circumvent to view that memory?

    I am running an XP box. The board's driver is installed and the board
    is functioning properly in windows while I am trying to read the
    memory. I have 1 GB of physical RAM and a swap file of 1.5 GB. (the
    memory address that PCI board is at appears to be about 3.8 GB
    offset... I'm not sure about that either)

    I appreciate any thoughts you have.

    Thanks,
    John

    john, May 30, 2007

  2. This is far out of the scope of this newsgroup. You should try some
    more specific newsgroups.

    Quentin Godfroy, May 31, 2007

  3. [...]

    You're asking a Windows question, not a C question.

    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 *might* be the right place to ask,
    but I'm not sure.

    Keith Thompson, May 31, 2007
  4. john

    jacob navia Guest

    You have to build a device driver John. That is outside the scope of
    this group. Try one of the device drivers groups in the msnews
    server. They are followed by dedicated microsoft professionals
    that are very competent and will tell you exactly what you
    have to do. I always found there very helpful people.

    jacob navia, May 31, 2007