Accessing the ControlToValidate control in a Validator

Nathan Sokalski

I am writing a Validator by inheriting from the BaseValidator class. I need
to access the control referred to by the ControlToValidate property. Because
ControlToValidate is a String, I will need to use the FindControl() method
using ControlToValidate as the argument. In most cases, this would work
perfectly fine, but as most of us know, there are some scenarios (such as
those involving Master pages) in which the NamingContainers can make this
harder than we would like. The GetControlValidationValue() method obviously
needs to reference the ControlToValidate control when it gets the validation
value, so I am wondering if there is some hidden way to make it easier to
get the ControlToValidate control in a Validator, since they are often used
together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bruce barker

the validator design logic requires the validator and the control to be
validated are in the same naming container. There is no hidden logic, the
base validator code just does a this.NamingContainer.FindControl().

if you know the fully qualified path you can specify it as:
parent1$parent2$child

you could make your own naming container that the validators were placed in
that had its own FindControl logic.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)