[ADV] Erlang book is in beta...

Dave Thomas

I love Ruby--I've done all my serious (and most of my not-so-serious)
work in Ruby since 2000.

But that doesn't mean that I think it's the only solution--the
universal language. There are always going to be areas where other
tools excel.

One of those areas is concurrent programming. As the world moves to
multi-core processors, and as we start to write applications
distributed across intra- and internets, we need to find better ways
to exploit all this extra power. If you've ever tried to write
concurrent programs in Java, or even Ruby, you know the challenges.

Erlang is designed from the ground up to help programmers create
highly concurrently (read thousands or processes), highly reliable
(read 99.99999% uptime) applications. It's a real world language--it
is used to write telephone switches, banking applications, trading
systems...you name it.

I like it for that reason. I also like it because it's different--
very different. It makes me think about problems in a totally
different way.

We were lucky to get Joe Armstrong, one of the inventors of Erlang,
to write our latest beta book, Programming Erlang.

The book isn't being officially announced until next week, but I
thought the Ruby community might appreciate an early look.

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/jaerlang/

Cheers

Dave

James Britt

Dave said:
[...]

Sweet. Any plans for a Haskell book?

--
James Britt

"The truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders
than by the arguments of its opponents."
- William Penn.

Brian Mitchell

And any plans for an IO book? It also has interesting answers/solutions
relevant to the current uni- to multi-core transition... iolanguage.com

/Robert Feldt

I'd say it would be a bit soon for an Io book since I still pull down
daily changes from the main darcs repository. ;-) Having said that, I
highly recommend that people check it out... it _really_ brings the
meaning of completely dynamic into scope.

Though I've gone through other Haskell books, it would be great to see
how the Pragmatics would present the language. So +1 on that from me
as well.

Brian.

Farrel Lifson

[...]

Awesome. I've been meaning to learn Erlang for a while now. I'm
definitely buying this, especially with Joe Armstrong involved.

Farrel

Hans Fugal

Excellent! It just so happens I am gearing up to learn Erlang. What
timing! Maybe people on this list really are clairvoyant...

Hans

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Dave said:
[...]

Thank you!! This is *exactly* what I've been waiting for!!

Kevin Jackson

I love Ruby--I've done all my serious (and most of my not-so-serious)
my +1 also - I've worked through the Erlang tutorials but haven't
quite grasped it properly - so thanks for the timely 'release'

Kev

Dave Thomas

Yes, but it's a bright new world, with the publishing world looking
more and
more like the open-source software world, with versioning, beta
books and
frequent releases... ;)

I'd love to see proposals on IO, Haskell, and OCaml.

Dave

Dave Thomas

On any other language list, if I announced a book on a different
language, I'd get flamed until crisp.

Here, all you folks say is "cool".

It's a nice place to call home.

Dave

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Dave said:
On any other language list, if I announced a book on a different
language, I'd get flamed until crisp.

Here, all you folks say is "cool".

It's a nice place to call home.

Dave
Well ... try announcing a Ruby book on the Erlang list first. :)

_why

On any other language list, if I announced a book on a different
language, I'd get flamed until crisp.

You should do one on VBScript. I'd like to see what that reaction
would be like. For my own purposes.

_why

Robert Dober

You should do one on VBScript. I'd like to see what that reaction
would be like. For my own purposes.
Do not fear on *this list* nobody knows what VBScript is.

And just in case, for those who do not know me ;). It's a joke.

Robert

Chad Perrin

I'd love to see proposals on IO, Haskell, and OCaml.

. . especially if the OCaml book comes with an OCaml compiler that is
released under a BSD-like license.

Pat Maddox

On any other language list, if I announced a book on a different
language, I'd get flamed until crisp.

Here, all you folks say is "cool".

It's a nice place to call home.

Dave

I agree that the Ruby community rocks, but a big reason for the warm
response is because of the reputation you guys have created for
yourselves. Your flagship book has Java examples throughout and we
all love it. You'll always have the benefit of the doubt.

Pat

Luciano Ramalho

On any other language list, if I announced a book on a different
language, I'd get flamed until crisp.

Here, all you folks say is "cool".

It's a nice place to call home.

Comming from the Python community, I don't think pythonistas are more
intolerant than rubyists, although I've heard this myth while talking
to people at the last RubyConf. On the other hand, if you had
announced a Python book, perhaps your response here would not be
positive.

One of the things that has always bothered me in the Ruby community is
how much Python bashing goes on, most of it needless and a lot of it
pointless.

Then again, you *are* Dave Thomas, and everyone here are your fans
(including myself), so you'll always get special treatment.

Cheers,

Luciano

Robert Dober

Comming from the Python community, I don't think pythonistas are more
intolerant than rubyists, although I've heard this myth while talking
to people at the last RubyConf. On the other hand, if you had
announced a Python book, perhaps your response here would not be
positive.

One of the things that has always bothered me in the Ruby community is
how much Python bashing goes on, most of it needless and a lot of it
pointless.

Well I did not really notice but it is sad news that you feel like it,
maybe we should be a little more expressive about smileys sometimes.

You are making a strong point, Python's success is something to be
jealous of course ;), but there simply is *no* reason to bash anybody
unless it is /bin/bash of course.

Personally I have very mixed feelings about Python, I love its power
and I hate its syntax and complexity.

But both statements are probably a compliment to the language and
loving the power and hating the complexity is somehow stupid of
course.

Hopefully you will keep stopping by.
Then again, you *are* Dave Thomas, and everyone here are your fans
(including myself), so you'll always get special treatment.

Who is this Dave Thomas guy? No I am not kidding, probably I am just
very ignorant, but not for very much longer...
Cheers,

Luciano
Ciao ( no make that ate =E0 prossima)
Robert

--=20
But we feel we are confused on a higher level and about more important thin=
gs.
-Anonymous