[ADV] Erlang book is in beta...

Giles Bowkett

My experience with Erlang is -very- limited, but I thought it seemed like it
had potential. By focusing on something that isn't really covered too much
in other languages and trying to be really good at it, it separates itself
from the crowd nicely (imho at least ;) ). I've heard that the web server
written in Erlang (don't remember the name, sorry) is really good at
handling heavy loads without shirking. If it could be configured to serve
Rails apps... hey, best of both worlds! :D

ErlyWeb (framework) and Yaws (server).

Eleanor McHugh

You should do one on VBScript. I'd like to see what that reaction
would be like. For my own purposes.

A couple of years ago when I was doing real-time VB I'd have been up
for writing that ;)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains

Robert Klemme

A couple of years ago when I was doing real-time VB I'd have been up for
writing that ;)

Ouch! Did you mention "real time" and "VB" in one sentence? I know
that "real time" mostly just means "guaranteed response times" but in my
mental world VB and real time don't mix very well. (Which probably only
means that I have to adjust my mind.)

Amazing...

robert

Avdi Grimm

On 06.03.2007 11:52, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
Ouch! Did you mention "real time" and "VB" in one sentence? I know
that "real time" mostly just means "guaranteed response times" but in my
mental world VB and real time don't mix very well. (Which probably only
means that I have to adjust my mind.)

Well, writing apps in VB can take a real(ly long) time...

Eleanor McHugh

Ouch! Did you mention "real time" and "VB" in one sentence? I
know that "real time" mostly just means "guaranteed response times"
but in my mental world VB and real time don't mix very well.
(Which probably only means that I have to adjust my mind.)

Amazing...

To the best of my knowledge I'm the only person who's ever had a pure
VB5 system certified for aviation use. Needless to say I avoid flying
whenever possible - who knows what other horrors lurk in the cockpit...

Of course if I still worked for that company I'd probably be doing a
Rails version ;p

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains

Robert Dober

To the best of my knowledge I'm the only person who's ever had a pure
VB5 system certified for aviation use.
You mean you can use it inside an airplane, right. Not to operate an
airplane surely
;)

Eleanor McHugh

You mean you can use it inside an airplane, right. Not to operate an
airplane surely
;)

It was a cockpit navigation/mission planning system, so in theory yes
it could operate an airplane. I don't think anyone was ever quite
_that_ trusting though lol

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains

Robert Klemme

It was a cockpit navigation/mission planning system, so in theory yes it
could operate an airplane. I don't think anyone was ever quite _that_
trusting though lol

:)

What happened to it? Was it one of the many IT projects that got
canceled half way?

Kind regards

robert

Eleanor McHugh

What happened to it? Was it one of the many IT projects that got
canceled half way?

Oh no, it made it into production: http://www.skyforceobserver.com/

I had absolutely nothing to do with the MK II or MK III versions but
I'm assuming they'll have switched from VB to something more industry-
standard. I seem to recall a lot of talk about "industry best
practices" but hey, that's for kind of people who like writing
version 2.0's >;D

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains