Advice on letting a user drop an image from the filesystem to a webpage

jw

I haven't been able to find any resources (tutorials, tips, best
practices, etc.) that show how a web page through javascript could
accept an image file that is dropped on the page from the filesystem
and then show that image in the page somewhere. Is this possible?

The closest I've come, conceptually, is to stick an applet in the
page, make that the drop target, then when the user drops the file on
it have it send that back to the server then through AJAX pass the
image back to the page and let the Javascript get a handle to the
image through the AJAX message.

But is there something I can do that is simpler or more seamless?
Thanks!

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

jw said:
I haven't been able to find any resources (tutorials, tips, best
practices, etc.) that show how a web page through javascript could
accept an image file that is dropped on the page from the filesystem
and then show that image in the page somewhere. Is this possible?
[...]

IIRC, the very same question has been asked and answered here shortly ago.

PointedEars

jw

jw said:
I haven't been able to find any resources (tutorials, tips, best
practices, etc.) that show how a web page through javascript could
accept animagefile that is dropped on the page from the filesystem
and then show thatimagein the page somewhere.  Is this possible?
[...]

IIRC, the very same question has been asked and answered here shortly ago..
My prior searches didn't turn up anything, sorry. Searching again
(based on your post) pointed me to a post back in April that basically
said its not possible (especially staying browser neutral) without an
applet or activex control. If anyone knows otherwise or if something
changed with browsers since then, please post.