AJAX: modal popup extender

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by James Page, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. James Page

    James Page Guest

    Hi all

    Have a couple of issues with the modal popup extender (asp.net 3.5, vb.net,
    visual studio 2008):
    I have created a user control (e-mail enquiry form) which is designed to
    accept text input then send an e-mail.

    The user control has 2 views – view 1 –e-mail input form, view 2
    confirmation that e-mail has been sent.

    View 1:
    There are 4 text boxes submit, reset and close buttons.
    Validation is required on the text boxes.
    When the form passes validation an e-mail is sent

    View 2:
    Label showing “thank you..“ message and their e-mail address
    The close button is visible in both views

    The modal popup extender shows the above user control fine, but when the
    user clicks on the submit and reset buttons the popup disappears.

    I’ve seen some discussion about this but nothing seems to be a ’defacto’
    method of allowing the popup to carry out code behind / validation functions
    without the popup disappearing.
    Here’s what i need to achieve:

    1. Show popup
    2. Let user enter text, click submit or reset buttons without closing popup
    3. Allow validation to take place
    4. If form passes validation show view 2 (confirmation)
    5. Allow user to click ‘close button’ at anytime

    Any pointers would be gratefully received.

    James Page, Sep 8, 2008

  2. James Page

    bruce barker Guest

    the easiest way is to have a second popup thats the please wait panel. I put
    this on the master page, and call it via the RegisterOnSubmitStatement.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Sep 8, 2008

  3. James Page

    James Page Guest

    Thanks Bruce - but I really need a solution to fit in with the controls as
    they stand. Although I can see what you're suggesting its not really what I
    need.

    Thanks

    James Page, Sep 8, 2008
  4. James Page

    bruce barker Guest

    onsubmit happens after validation, so it the right time to open the please
    wait popup.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Sep 9, 2008
  5. James Page

    James Page Guest

    Thanks for your reply Bruce but...

    The whole point in me creating the user control is that it allows the form
    and coding to be contained within one control. Rather than seperating out
    over a couple of pop ups etc. Also it makes designing the site a whole lot
    easier if I can keep everything in seperate 'containers'.

    What I need is a way of controlling the pop up from code behind so that It
    behaves just like any other normal aspx page, but with the benefit of being
    modal. Hope that makes sense?

    James Page, Sep 9, 2008
  6. James Page

    Ram krishna Guest