AJAX Toolkit

Scott M.

How do I use the AJAX Toolkit? It seems that this is just one really big
Visual Studio solution that consists of samples. How do I get these
controls to show up in my toolbox when I build new projects?

-Scott

Nathan Sokalski

First of all, what have you done so far (and what version of Visual Studio
are you using)? Here is one page that you may find very useful:

http://asp.net/ajax/documentation/live/ConfiguringASPNETAJAX.aspx
http://asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Live/InstallingASPNETAJAX.aspx

And there is also a forum for ASP.NET AJAX at:

http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?GroupID=34

These sites have all been very useful to me when I installed and set up
ASP.NET AJAX on my machine, so hopefully they will be useful to you as well.
Two things that I want to mention that it sounds like you might not know (I
didn't either at that point in my experience) are:

1. You need to copy the AjaxControlToolkit.dll to the bin directory of all
sites in order to use the controls. There may be a built-in way to have
Visual Studio 2005 automatically copy it there when you create a new
Project, but I haven't found it, and since it's not hard to copy a file, I'm
just sticking with the copying.

2. One of the steps somewhere on one of the pages I gave you links to are
instructions for adding the Controls to the ToolBox, it requires an extra
step, so you will not see them there until you do that. Good Luck!

Scott M.

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your time on this, but I'm not asking about installing ASP .NET
AJAX, I'm asking about the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which is not the same
thing as the basic AJAX Extensions that those articles describe.

I'm using VS 2008 (where the AJAX extensions are built-it from the get-go)
and have downloaded the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which seems to exists as one,
very big, ASP .NET Web Site, but I don't know how to utilize this and get
the Toolkit controls show up in VS 2008 for use in other projects.

-Scott

George Ter-Saakov

It's a simple DLL you need to include in your project. Just right click in
your "control" panel and choose "add control"
Then browse to the DLL you've downloaded and add it.

AJAX control will show up on "control" panel and DLL will be automaticly
added to the prject (will be in a BIN folder).

George.

Scott M.

I don't have a simple.dll as you describe. What I have is a large ASP .NET
Web Site with many .aspx and .js pages.

-Scott

George Ter-Saakov

when you download AJAX toolkit it comes with a lot of
examples/documentation.....
You only need one DLL. Go to BIN folder when you unzip toolkit.

That is the DLL I was referring too.

George.

Scott M.

There are 4 assemblies in my "Binaries" (not BIN) folder:

BuildVsi.dll
JavaScriptCommentStripper.dll
Microsoft.Web.Testing.dll
Tools.dll

Which one do I want?

-Scott

Jialiang Ge [MSFT]

Hello Scott,

I think the DLL referred by George is the one in the folder:
AjaxControlToolkit/AjaxControlToolkit/bin/Debut(or
Release)/AjaxControlTookit.dll. If you don't see the bin folder, you need
to open the solution (AjaxControlToolkit.sln) and compile it. After you get
the DLL, you can add it to Visual Studio Toolbox by right clicking Toolbox,
selecting "Choose Items..", and locate the DLL from the Browse button,
click OK.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge ([email protected], remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(e-mail address removed).

George Ter-Saakov

Yes, that is what I am talking about....I did not remember the name exactly
but remembered that it's quite obvious.
Thanks you...

George.

Scott M.

Ok, I've got the .dll and have added the Toolkit items to my VS Toolbox.

Now, one more question....

I do see the .vsi project for the AJAX Control Extender project template and
can install that just fine, but I don't see a .vsi for an ASP .NET AJAX
project template, as all the documentation says I should get so that I can
have a choice in the project selector dialog for a new project that already
gives me a reference to the .dll and a page with a script manager on it.

-Scott

George Ter-Saakov

I believe that one comes with AJAX runtime itself (not controls).
Which VS version are you using? With 2008 it is already there. I mean all
projects support AJAX so there is not need for project template.
So you can start dumping Ajax control on a page of your project without
doing anything else. Do not forget to add ScriptManager first though.

George.