Algorithms in Python, cont'd

Antti J Ylikoski

I wrote here about some straightforward ways to program D. E. Knuth in
Python, and John Nagle answered that the value of Knuth's book series
to the programmer has been significantly diminished by the fact that
many functionalities such as sorting and hashing have either been
built in the Python language, or are available in libraries (à propos,
as an aside, very many functionalities are available notably in the
CPAN, the Comprehensive Perl Language Network. I wonder what were the
corresponding repository with the Python language....)

Nagle's comment is to my opinion very true. So I carried out a search
procedure -- and found two good sources of algorithms for the Python
programmer:

1) Cormen-Leiserson-Rivest-Stein: Introduction to Algorithms, 2nd
edition, ISBN 0-262-53196-8. The 3rd edition has been published, I
don't know which one is the most recent one.

2) Atallah-Blanton: Algorithms and Theory of Computation Handbook,
Second Edition, 2 books, ISBNs 978-1-58488-822-2 and
978-1-58488-820-8. This one in particular is really good as a general
computer science source.

The point of this entry is that my answer to Nagle's criticism is that
numerous such more or less sophisticated algorithm reference books can
be found.

I intended to write some demonstrations in Python -- I chose the RSA
cryptosystem from Cormen et al's book and the linear programming
ellipsoid algorithm from Atallah-Blanton's book -- but I have not yet
done so, it would have been straightforward but too time-consuming.

yours, and V/R, Antti J Ylikoski
Helsinki, Finland, the EU