All web projects crash trying to find uninstalled assembly

tcc.se7en

I was having a bit of an issue with assembly references, but now it
seems to have spiraled even further out of control. Not sure what I
did to break it, any help is appreciated.

Basically, I have this dll, which was a Web Application Project with
some classes in it. I was trying to find a way to make it be globally
accessible to several apps. Amongst the many things I tried, I
installed it in the GAC. I still didn't have quite the flexibility I
wanted, so I kept looking.

Today, I decided to just accept the fact that I'll have to deal with a
non-ideal solution to the problem of sharing the assembly, so I
started in, building actual application logic in the WAP classes. But
now, when I reference the new DLL from my web site, it says the
following:

"Could not load file or assembly 'WTC2, Version=1.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c57fd84f37c9b82e' or one of its
dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

So I check around, make sure the old DLL is no longer registered in
the GAC (it's not), and make sure I have no references to the WTC2 dll
anywhere in my project (I don't).
Odd behavior. And it continues, and I can't figure out why or where
that DLL is being referenced.

Even more odd, the same error has begun occurring on other sites,
including completely new, default, clean web projects (tried
WebAppProjects, WebSites, AJAXWebApps, etc). They'll compile, but at
runtime they give me the same error (missing WTC2.dll). They very
definitely do not have any reference to that DLL (none that I set up,
anyhow).

Same behavior in IIS and in the VS web server.

So why/how is this (nonexistent) DLL somehow being automatically
referenced from my projects, even brand new ones?

It doesn't seem possible, and I'm sure the error is mine, but I would
very much like to know what it is.

Thanks,

Taylor

tcc.se7en

I was having a bit of an issue with assembly references, but now it
seems to have spiraled even further out of control.
[snip]

So why/how is this (nonexistent) DLL somehow being automatically
referenced from my projects, even brand new ones?

It doesn't seem possible, and I'm sure the error is mine, but I would
very much like to know what it is.

Thanks,

Taylor

Fixed. For some reason, possibly due to me not using gacutil to
uninstall the DLL at some point, there was a reference to the DLL in
the global web.config (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework
\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\web.config). I removed it, and I'm no longer
getting the error.

FYI..

Thanks,

Taylor