allowDefinition=MachineToApplication

Tumurbaatar S.

If a section in Machine.config contains
"allowDefinition=MachineToApplication"
then it means that this section can be defined only in a root Web.config
(i.e. application's
config file). Other child Web.config's (config files located in sub-folders)
cannot redefine it.
Also, the root config file cannot avoid this restriction using different
variants of this section
with different <location> tags. Am I right?
My problem is that I used different <authenticate> for a sub-folder. The
sub-folder
does not have own Web.config, the root Web.config defines new <location>
and within it - a new <authenticate>. After installing my web app, the root
folder
automatically becomes Virtual folder of IIS, but the sub-folder remains
within it
as a normal sub-folder. Launching a sub-folder raises an error.
I've searched net and found 2 ways to solve this:

1.Convert the sub-folder to a standalone Virtual folder.
2. Modify Machine.config

The 1st way is easy, but ... many Virtual app-s.
And what about the 2nd method? Removing above restriction from the
Machine.config
may lead to some security problems?