allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.compile error

RayLopez99

How to fix the below error? I am trying to debug a "Hello World"
ASP.NET program that I wrote in MS XP OS using Visual Studio 2008, but
now I get this error in Vista OS when I copy and paste the same into a
Vista folder.

I looked at the link below and I could not make any sense of it.
Where do I click to change the "virtual folder"? Do I need IIS to run
my app in Vista? Why can't I just use Visual Studio?

Thank you,

RL

It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.

http://forums.asp.net/t/769696.aspx

RayLopez99

How to fix the below error?  I am trying to debug a "Hello World"
ASP.NET program that I wrote in MS XP OS using Visual Studio 2008, but
now I get this error in Vista OS when I copy and paste the same into a
Vista folder.

I got it to work, after doing the following:

1) checking to make sure the path was not too long (in my case, it was
over 225 characters)

2) opening a new application, rebuilding after cutting and pasting the
old code (tedious, but worked)

3) make sure you set Internet Explorer (the default browser for
debugging) so scripts allowed, and other such tweaks (set to Low
Security, go to Advanced Tab)

It worked from under Visual Studio 2008, without resorting to running
IIS.

RL