The allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' error

princessjewel62

Hi all,

Im having a big problem. Im trying out a program which works fine
yesterday but today it gives me more headache. It is about session
sharing between ASP and ASP.NET application.

The error is:

Parser Error Message:

It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 52: <sessionState mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data
source=127.0.0.1;user id=sa;password=" cookieless="false" timeout="20"
/>

and by the way, I have turned off the ASP session under the ASP
Configuration tab. Is the problem lies in the session timeout?

Anyone help me out please. thank you....

princessjewel62

And oh, by the way, the program works perfectly fine in Mozilla Firefox
browser but not in Internet Explorer 7. Any idea what is the cause of
this? Thank you again in advance..

Juan T. Llibre

You are attempting to define Session State in a web.config
in a directory which is not configured as an Application.

If there's a parent directory defined as an Application,
simply remove the <sessionState mode...> lines from
the web.config in the current directory.

If there's no parent directory configured as an IIS Application,
create an IIS Application which points to the directory where
the web.config exists...and leave the <sessionState mode...> lines in.

princessjewel62

Hi Juan T. Libre,

Thanks for that. It works. But the problem now lies in the .asp page.
This is what it says:

"This type of page is not served.

it has been explicitly forbidden. The extension '.asp' may be
incorrect. Please review the URL below and make sure that it is
spelled correctly. "

The extension is correct. I tried adding this code into the page
requested, testPage.asp,

"<%
Response.Write("LOGON_USER: " & _
Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER"))
%>"

But to no avail. I am the only user in this computer, and I have set
"Everyone" have the "Read" access. But the result is the same. I'm
confused. Thank you.