    stupid project out of a simple hello world app. So, I'll just use gcc compiler for
    now! Thank you for your help and patience!

    chesucat

    Chesucat, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Not seen that one.
    Avoid any C books by Herbert Schildt, at least until he learns C.
    Harbison and Steele. If you can get a later edition, do so.
    They're up to the 5th edition now, which is bang up to date.

    Yes, they will compile C code that conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (which is
    effectively identical to the 1989 ANSI C Standard).
    See the first three books cited in the list at
    http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/clc/cbooks.html - my own favourite is "The
    C Programming Language", 2nd edition, Kernighan and Ritchie, and it sounds
    like you might like it too. Second choice? Probably K N King.
    There shouldn't be any reason why you can't compile a "hello world" program
    under Visual C. The most likely errors you are making that stop your
    program building correctly are:

    1) actual syntax errors (unlikely, if gcc builds it okay, but still
    possible)
    2) using .cpp instead of .c as your file extension (C++ is a very different
    language to C!)
    3) trying to build the wrong kind of project. You want "Windows Console
    Application"

    Strictly, questions about "how do I use my compiler" belong in
    compiler-specific groups or platform-specific groups, so if you need any
    further help with Visual C, try asking in
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. If you post your hello.c code here,
    though, we should at least be able to tell whether the code itself is
    correct.

    Richard Heathfield, Sep 11, 2003