[ANN] RMagick 1.8.0 released

Tim Hunter

RMagick 1.8.0 is available on RubyForge:

http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick

The RMagick home page is: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org

RMagick is a binding for the ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick image processing
libraries. These libraries support more than 90 image formats including
GIF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, and EPS. RMagick features over 150 methods for image
creation, editing, and format conversion, and includes comprehensive HTML
documentation with more than 175 complete examples.

This release of RMagick incorporates the RVG (Ruby Vector Graphics) library,
which has until now been a separate add-on library. RVG is a library for
drawing 2D graphics with an API based on the SVG specification. RVG
supports all the parts of SVG that ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick supports
(plus a few extra!), including:

        o Structure: RVG, groups, and use
        o User-coordinate systems
        o Coordinate system transformations (translate, rotate, etc.)
        o Basic shapes: line, rectangle, circle, ellipse, polygon, polyline
        o Styles: fill, stroke, opacity, font_size, etc.
        o SVG Paths
        o Text (including advanced styles such as vertical orientation)
        o Patterns
        o Clipping paths
        o Raster images
        o Units conversions (cm, in, etc.)

RVG would be a good library to use if you're writing an application that
needs to programmatically generate drawings, such as a charting
application, especially if you need to export your drawings in multiple
resolutions (web, print, etc.) and multiple image formats.

The RMagick documentation now includes an RVG tutorial and complete coverage
of the RVG API.

Andreas Schwarz

Tim said:
RMagick 1.8.0 is available on RubyForge:

I've got a problem with RMagick on OS X. I have installed the
imagemagick and imagemagick-dev packages from fink (version 6.1.8). When
I try to install the gem I get the following error:

make
rmimage.c:16:46: magick/xwindow.h: No such file or directory
rmimage.c: In function `Image_capture':
rmimage.c:581: error: `XImportInfo' undeclared (first use in this function)
rmimage.c:581: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
rmimage.c:581: error: for each function it appears in.)
rmimage.c:581: error: parse error before "ximage_info"
rmimage.c:585: warning: implicit declaration of function `XGetImportInfo'
rmimage.c:585: error: `ximage_info' undeclared (first use in this function)
rmimage.c:614: warning: implicit declaration of function `XImportImage'
rmimage.c:614: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
make[1]: *** [rmimage.o] Error 1
setup failed
'system make' failed
try 'ruby install.rb --help' for usage
make: *** [all] Error 1
install.rb: entering install phase...

The rest of the build seems to work and the gem is "successfully"
installed, but after require_gem 'rmagick' the constant Magick is not
defined.

Tim Hunter

Andreas said:
I've got a problem with RMagick on OS X. I have installed the
imagemagick and imagemagick-dev packages from fink (version 6.1.8). When
I try to install the gem I get the following error:

I've not had much luck with fink. Try the procedure I describe at
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2092&forum_id=1618
"How to install RMagick on Mac OS X"

By the way, there's a typo in this HOWTO: xMagick's ./configure option
is "--with-gs-font-dir=/opt/local/share/ghostscript/fonts", no quotes,
no embedded blanks.