[ANN] Vancouver Ruby Meetup - Merb - Off the Rails - May/5 @ 7pm -Join Us

Gerald Bauer

Hello,

Join us for the open and free to all Vancouver Ruby meetup on
Monday, May/5th at 7pm at the Network Hub. Vancouverite Brock Whitten
who published an "Open Break-Up Letter to Rails" will talk about "Off
the Rails - Why You Should Use Merb for Your Next Project".

Merb is more suited for this due to its speed and flexibility (it's
perfect for building an API). This talk is a quick primer on Merb:
what its benefits are and why these benefits are important for a
developer that is thinking about the web of tomorrow.

Demonstrates building a basic RESTful API from scratch using Merb.
This took about 10 min. Once we were done, we had an 'Articles'
resource that had the 7 golden(REST) methods. All the methods for
accessing the resource understood HTTP, XML, JSON and YAML. What this
does for us is gives us many ways to access our resource.

About Brock Whitten:
I write applications using Ruby frameworks such as Ruby on Rails and
Merb. I am intimate with RESTful principals and am known as an AJAX
junkie. I think in terms of 'resources' and 'web services'. I believe
whole heartedly in open-source software and have a passion for
furthering my local community.

More @ http://vanrb.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/may-meetup

Cheers.