[ANN] XPN 0.5.5 released

Nemesis

XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
support. It is written with Python+GTK. It has features like
scoring/actions, X-Face and Face decoding, muting of quoted text,
newsrc import/export, find article and search in the body, spoiler
char/rot13, random taglines and configurable attribution lines.

You can find it on:

http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

or

http://sf.net/projects/xpn

Changes in this release:

* improved support for outgoing/draft articles, now is possible to
re-edit queued articles.
* added a simple SSL connection support (no certificates checks)
* added multipart article support (no binary attachments support)
* added German translation (thanks to Rene Fischer)
* fixed a bug that caused crashes with strange Date fields
* fixed a bug in newsrc importing, now is alse possible to import
not standard newsrc files like the Xnews ones.
* fixed a bug in the newsrc system that caused a crash with groups
containings lots of articles
* a lot of little bug-fixes and little enhancements

XPN is translated in Italian French and German, if you'd like to
translate it
in your language and you are familiar with gettext and po-files
editing please contact me ([email protected]).

Cousin Stanley

XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader
with Unicode support.
You can find it on:

http://xpn.altervista.org/index-en.html

http://sf.net/projects/xpn>

Changes in this release:

Cousin Nemesis ....

Are the new xpn 5.5 config & data files compatible
with the older xpn 5.0 files ?

Can I install the newer xpn version
and move the older data files into it
without reconfiguring & reloading data files ?

o config.txt
o server_logs.dat
o dats
o groups_info
o groups_list

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Cousin Stanley" scriveva:
Cousin Nemesis ....
Are the new xpn 5.5 config & data files compatible
with the older xpn 5.0 files ?

I'm not 100% sure but I think that they could work. The only thing is
changed is the outgoing articles format, so if you have article in the
oubox delete them
Can I install the newer xpn version
and move the older data files into it
without reconfiguring & reloading data files ?

o config.txt
o server_logs.dat
o dats
o groups_info
o groups_list

It should work, anyway just make a copy of these files to be sure not to
lose them.

Cousin Stanley

I'm not 100% sure but I think that they could work.

The only thing is changed is the outgoing articles format,
so if you have article in the oubox delete them

It should work, anyway just make a copy of these files
to be sure not to lose them.

I'll give it a try later today
& let you know how it turns out ....

Thanks ....

Cousin Stanley

Cousin Nemesis ....

This worked OK with no problems
and I'm posting this reply via xpn-0.5.5 ....

I copied the following from the older xpn-0.5.0 version
to the newer xpn-0.5.5 version ....

dirs ....

o dats
o groups_info
o outbox

files ....

o custom_headers.txt
o groups_list
o server_logs.dat

No initial configuration, downloading newsrc file,
or re-subscribing to newsgroups was required
and all of my previously kept & watched messages
seem to be in place ....

Thanks for the update ....

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Cousin Stanley" scriveva:

[Upgrading XPN to 0.5.5 ...]
[...]
files ....

o custom_headers.txt
o groups_list
o server_logs.dat

I'd add also config.txt ;-)
No initial configuration, downloading newsrc file,
or re-subscribing to newsgroups was required
and all of my previously kept & watched messages
seem to be in place ....
Thanks for the update ....

Thanks to you for testing it. :)

Cousin Stanley

I'd add also config.txt ;-)

I did but failed to include it in the list I posted ....

One small config problem that I haven't figured out
how to deal with ....

I use a dark background with white foreground text ....

When posting a reply in the compose/edit window
the cursor is NOT visible ....

Is there an incantation I can add to the config file
that might render the cursor visible on a dark background ?

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Cousin Stanley" scriveva:
I did but failed to include it in the list I posted ....

yes of course.
One small config problem that I haven't figured out
how to deal with ....

I use a dark background with white foreground text ....

When posting a reply in the compose/edit window
the cursor is NOT visible ....

Is there an incantation I can add to the config file
that might render the cursor visible on a dark background ?

It's a well known issue, I haven't find a way to change the cursor color
yet :-/
I also posted an help request on the pygtk list, but I had no useful