any way to shrink down jpg pic with html

bbxrider

i have a jpg pic that i want to shrink down on my page without losing
resolution
i want the whole pic to be seen without having to scroll the browser
is there some 'container' type of thing that i can put the pic inside of to
do that
http://job1data.com/web1/dna.html

TechnoHippie

do you mean keeping the image quality/detail? use a program to resize
it. ulead smartsaver pro is nice or just use your graphics program to
resize it.

thats not really possible because you don't know what size the
visitors browser window is and can only guess its size. you could use
percentages for the image size but see below...

you can use html to specify a size different than the actual image
size but browsers are really bad at resizing images and you should
only display images at the size they are (with a few exceptions). its
really annoying downloading a 1000x1000px image is its only displayed
at 100x100px

file:///C:\Documents and Settings\bob.C281571-A\

that only exists on your computer, no one elses.

Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options so if
you show the pic alone or in a popup window, it will size to fit the
window. That won't work in any other browser, afaik, so you're better
off resizing the pic in irfanview or a similar editor ... you'll be safe
if you make it 640X400. Anything bigger and you will just have to
accept the fact that you really don't have any control over the viewer's
screen resolution.

You could use a smaller size that links to a larger one ... you could
use a script to determine the viewer's monitor resolution and serve up
the correct pic ... it all depends on your motivation and persistence.

Judy

brucie

Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options

tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar

now they do :)
You could use a smaller size that links to a larger one ...

best option
you could use a script to determine the viewer's monitor resolution and
serve up the correct pic ...

the resolution has nothing to do with the available canvas area of the
browser and you can only guess what the canvas area size may be.

bbxrider

thanx for the help and suggestions
i'm surprised to hear that a script can access something like the screen
resolution, but i guess since its more of a hardware resource its not a
security issue.
sounds like it takes some experimentation with different resolutions. what i
found initially, the original pic is a screen capture, shft/prnt scr, and
when reducing resolution the quality just fell apart

brucie said:
tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image
toolbar

oops, try the option above enable image toolbar

brucie

thanx for the help and suggestions

you're welcome. please don't toppost

How am I supposed to post my replies in a newsgroup?:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
what i found initially, the original pic is a screen capture, shft/prnt scr,
and when reducing resolution

image size?
the quality just fell apart

reduce your resolution to the minimum and take another screen cap or
use a program such as the one i mentioned before to resize the image

Andrew H. Carter

i have a jpg pic that i want to shrink down on my page without losing
resolution
i want the whole pic to be seen without having to scroll the browser
is there some 'container' type of thing that i can put the pic inside of to
do that
http://job1data.com/web1/dna.html

If you are talking a web gallery, then I suggest Thumbnails,
especially if the size of the original is 100KB+ I use Xnview for my
Thumbnails: http://www.xnview.com . You can see it in action here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~acarterchef/Files/Gallery/Space/E2-index.html

Mind you, I edited the code to coordinate with the rest of that
section of my site.

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

Andrew H. Carter

Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options

tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar

now they do :)

That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

brucie

tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar
That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

it applies if the person is using IE, thats why the instruction were
supplied for IE. it would be stupid to supply IE instructions if the
browser in use wasn't IE.

you're a troll.

Wipkip

If Bill Gates would give _you_ in his will, all his money when he
died, with the stipulation that you top-posted for the rest of your
life, would you do it? Isn't it really a matter of personal
preference? Also isn't it a bit arrogant to assume that we read top
to bottom, left to right? What about the Arabic and Hebrew languages?
If bill g. gave anybody all his money you can bet your ass they wouldn't be posting.

brucie

tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar
That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x
it applies if the person is using IE, thats why the instruction were
supplied for IE. it would be stupid to supply IE instructions if the
browser in use wasn't IE.

you're a troll.
You need to reread the thread and see if there was any reference to
IE6 before mine. Answer? None. Even you did not mention the version
of IE, remember there are still lots of older browsers that do not
have the Image resizing and toolbar feature that IE6x has.

WTF has that got to do with turning the feature off? you cant turn it
off if the browser hasn't got it in the first place.

you're a troll and i'm sick of feeding you. *plonk*

Andrew H. Carter

If bill g. gave anybody all his money you can bet your ass they wouldn't be posting.

They'd probably keel over, or if they didn't die then they'd be going
on a vacation, but the fact remains, when I get a letter in reply from
someone I know, I do not want to see what I wrote, I want to see what
they wrote. The good letter writer will incorporate the questions
with their answers. The bottom posting part is a real PITA when in
order for you to comprehend the whole answer, and nothing be taken out
of context, the whole thing needs to be included, _and_ the person
replying hit send before typing anything, and the server does not
allow cancels.

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

A. H. Carter

WTF has that got to do with turning the feature off? you cant turn it
off if the browser hasn't got it in the first place.

you're a troll and i'm sick of feeding you. *plonk*

Turning the feature off can only work in IE6x, so you tell the
lurking/first-time newbies those instructions which you gave and if
they don't have IE6 they will come back asking again their question,
because the supplied answer does not work prior to IE6. This being
the case unless they are told the reason why they can't find it and
how they can get IE6, the newbie will avoid answers by "brucie".

TechnoHippie

tools > internet options > advanced > multimedia > [ ] enable image toolbar
That only applies if the surfer has gotten into bed with
Micro$oft/Bill Gates and has gotten IE6x

it applies if the person is using IE, thats why the instruction were
supplied for IE. it would be stupid to supply IE instructions if the
browser in use wasn't IE.

you're a troll.

You need to reread the thread and see if there was any reference to
IE6 before mine. Answer? None. Even you did not mention the version
of IE, remember there are still lots of older browsers that do not
have the Image resizing and toolbar feature that IE6x has.

You need to reread the thread where I brought it up and explained it as
a solution but only for IE.

brucie is not a troll

TechnoHippie

Turning the feature off can only work in IE6x, so you tell the
lurking/first-time newbies those instructions which you gave and if
they don't have IE6 they will come back asking again their question,
because the supplied answer does not work prior to IE6. This being
the case unless they are told the reason why they can't find it and
how they can get IE6, the newbie will avoid answers by "brucie".

My exact post was:
<quote>
Most IE users don't know how to turn off Image Resizing in options so if
you show the pic alone or in a popup window, it will size to fit the
window. That won't work in any other browser, afaik, so you're better
off resizing the pic in irfanview or a similar editor ... you'll be safe
if you make it 640X400. Anything bigger and you will just have to
accept the fact that you really don't have any control over the viewer's
screen resolution.

You could use a smaller size that links to a larger one ... you could
use a script to determine the viewer's monitor resolution and serve up
the correct pic ... it all depends on your motivation and persistence.
</quote>

WTF are you arguing about. Get it or get plonked.

Judy

Andrew H. Carter

WTF are you arguing about. Get it or get plonked.

Judy

The point is that I made reference to Internet Explorer Version 6
(IE6), whereas you made reference to Internet Explorer. How many
older versions are still out there being used, I've no idea, but
apparently you and brucie do, and if you do please illuminate me so
that I may eat some crow.

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

Andrew H. Carter

You need to reread the thread where I brought it up and explained it as
a solution but only for IE.

brucie is not a troll

I did re-read the thread and you did mention IE, but _NOT_ version 6,
that is the _KEY_ part, versions prior to 6.0 do not have that option
of resizing nor the image toolbar.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, scenario: you have just gotten a
used computer (to see if it is all that worth it, why spend the money
when you may not use it all that much?) and it has let's say Windows
95 with IE version 4. I give you the directions (the ones that you
wrote) and you go that route and find, much to your amazement and
consternation that there is no listing for resizing nor the image
toolbar. You mention this back in a reply, then I realize my error
and reply with the vernacular: "My Bad" and mention that those
instructions were meant for users of IE6 as any previous version of
Internet Explorer that would not apply due to that feature not being
developed yet.

Also, I never said he was a troll, I don't call people names, unless
of course it might be Saddam Hussein, or ObL. I most certainly do not
call women names.

Words that I do not use:

F word
MF word

Rarely use:

D word

Not too often:

S word

If I wake up late, I might utter the "S" word and that is it.

Sincerely,

Andrew H. Carter

Mark Parnell

I did re-read the thread and you did mention IE, but _NOT_ version 6,
that is the _KEY_ part, versions prior to 6.0 do not have that option
of resizing nor the image toolbar.

Therefore users of versions of IE previous to 6 don't need those
instructions to stop it resizing their images because their images won't be
resized in the first place.

Andrew H. Carter

Therefore users of versions of IE previous to 6 don't need those
instructions to stop it resizing their images because their images won't be
resized in the first place.

Okay, I admit I'm going mental and that it just now dawned on me that
it won't automagically resize in previous versions, but have you ever
gone to Webshots? But still, a person just jumping in to the WWW and
Usenet, might get a li'l bit confused w/out clarification, hence I was
endeavouring to make it clear. :)

Sincerely,

Andrew H. "eating some crow" Carter