anyone familiar with Floating Navbars (ie DHTMLLIB)...??

Jack'o'Light

Hi....

I've been playing with a floating navbar, trying to get it to work with
mixed success.

If anyone is familiar with this particular breed, it is based on a DHTML
library file available at SITEEXPERTS.COM (
http://www.siteexperts.com/dhtmllib/demos/float/page1.asp ), and utilizes
quite a large JS file to set up the DOM and floating functions.

In Mozilla and NN7, the nav-bar doesn't float at all.

But I mostly design for IE anyway, and it "mostly" works in IE, except when
you scroll down to the bottom of the page. Because I initialize the navbar
location 240px down (to rest below my top banner), it forces the nav-bar to
partially "hide" below the bottom of the window, which again forces the
virtual size of the window to keep increasing as you scroll down, creating
an effect of a sort of an "endless" page in a vertical sense.

Great if you're on drugs, but lousy if you want to stop at the bottom.

Any JS junkies familiar with this DHTML LIB, or can anyone mend the JS to
prevent this "endless bottom" from happening?

thanks for any comments ...

Jack

(oops forgot my site: http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/ )

Richard Cornford

Jack'o'Light said:
I've been playing with a floating navbar, trying to get
it to work with mixed success.

If anyone is familiar with this particular breed, it is based
on a DHTML library file available at SITEEXPERTS.COM (
http://www.siteexperts.com/dhtmllib/demos/float/page1.asp ),
and utilizes quite a large JS file to set up the DOM and
floating functions.

In Mozilla and NN7, the nav-bar doesn't float at all.
<snip>

When the copyright of a script reads:-

<quote cite="http://www.siteexperts.com/dhtmllib/dhtmllib2.js">
DHTML Library Version 2.10
Last Updated: December 5, 1999
Copyright 1997-1999 by InsideDHTML.com, LLC
</quote>

-and it includes:-

<quote cite="http://www.siteexperts.com/dhtmllib/dhtmllib2.js">
var sys = navigator.appName;
var vers = parseInt(navigator.appVersion);
var n4 = document.layers
var ie4Mac = (vers>=4) &&
(navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac")>-1) && (!n4)
</quote>

- (or any other reference to the navigator object) it is time to find
another. Or, better yet, write a cross-browser script for the specific
task and avoid burdening the user with downloading a large library, 80%
of which is not needed for such a simple task.

Richard.