anyone familiar with Floating Navbars (ie DHTMLLIB)...??

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Jack'o'Light, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Jack'o'Light

    Jack'o'Light Guest

    Hi....

    I've been playing with a floating navbar, trying to get it to work with
    mixed success.

    If anyone is familiar with this particular breed, it is based on a DHTML
    library file available at SITEEXPERTS.COM (
    http://www.siteexperts.com/dhtmllib/demos/float/page1.asp ), and utilizes
    quite a large JS file to set up the DOM and floating functions.

    In Mozilla and NN7, the nav-bar doesn't float at all.

    But I mostly design for IE anyway, and it "mostly" works in IE, except when
    you scroll down to the bottom of the page. Because I initialize the navbar
    location 240px down (to rest below my top banner), it forces the nav-bar to
    partially "hide" below the bottom of the window, which again forces the
    virtual size of the window to keep increasing as you scroll down, creating
    an effect of a sort of an "endless" page in a vertical sense.

    Great if you're on drugs, but lousy if you want to stop at the bottom.

    Any JS junkies familiar with this DHTML LIB, or can anyone mend the JS to
    prevent this "endless bottom" from happening?

    thanks for any comments ...

    Jack

    (oops forgot my site: http://www3.telus.net/sunoma/ )

    Jack'o'Light, Nov 13, 2003

  2. <snip>

    When the copyright of a script reads:-

    <quote cite="http://www.siteexperts.com/dhtmllib/dhtmllib2.js">
    DHTML Library Version 2.10
    Last Updated: December 5, 1999
    Copyright 1997-1999 by InsideDHTML.com, LLC
    </quote>

    -and it includes:-

    <quote cite="http://www.siteexperts.com/dhtmllib/dhtmllib2.js">
    var sys = navigator.appName;
    var vers = parseInt(navigator.appVersion);
    var n4 = document.layers
    var ie4Mac = (vers>=4) &&
    (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac")>-1) && (!n4)
    </quote>

    - (or any other reference to the navigator object) it is time to find
    another. Or, better yet, write a cross-browser script for the specific
    task and avoid burdening the user with downloading a large library, 80%
    of which is not needed for such a simple task.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Nov 19, 2003