Anyone know of a good HTML editor control with a free version?

Alan Silver

Hello,

I am looking for an HTML editor control. At this stage, I only really
need a very basic one, I don't need all the skins and customisation that
many of them seem to offer. I would also like one that I can use a free
version without it timing out. That way, if it's any good, I can buy a
full version if the extra features are worth it.

Anyone any recommendations? I looked at FreeTextBox, but I couldn't get
it to work, the documentation is almost non-existent and they never
bothered answering my request for support!!

I looked through the control gallery at www.asp.net, but there are so
many controls there it's hard to know where to start.

Any suggestions welcome. TIA

Alan Silver

do a search on google , you'll find several to look, at many are free.

I found loads, the question was more along of the lines of whether or
not any are any good. I was hoping other people would have tried some
and would be able to offer comments.

Alan Silver

I know you mentioned it, but I'd give FTB another chance.

Trouble is that the documentation is almost non-existent, the supplied
sample didn't work and they never answered my request for support. Can't
work with a control like that.

Shame, it looked very good, but I don't have the time or inclination to
drive myself mad trying to work out how to use a control whose sample
doesn't work and that has no supporting info, either in docs or from the
coders.

Thanks anyway.

Alan Silver

Hello,

FWIW I have been trying SOEditor from www.siteobjects.com. The Lite
version is free and does everything you are likely to need. The docs
seem pretty good and I had it running with little effort.

Recommended so far ;-)

TJS

Everybody's preferences are different. There's no way of knowing whether a
product is desireable for another person.
I typically recommend FreeTextBox, but you had already ruled that out so....

Alan Silver

Everybody's preferences are different. There's no way of knowing whether a
product is desireable for another person.

I know, but as I found out, not all products work out of the box, not
all have docs, etc. I was looking for recommendations ;-)
I typically recommend FreeTextBox, but you had already ruled that out so....

I was fed up of wasting my time trying to get their samples to work.
There are so many good controls around, why suffer with one that doesn't
even give any docs work using?

Anyway, I found soeditor which worked fine, has docs and was eminently
suitable for what I wanted (and a lot more). I got it up and running in
a couple of minutes and soon had it configured exactly how I wanted.
That's the sort of experience I would expect, but didn't get from FTP.

Thanks for the reply.

Guest

I have been FCKeditor since 2 months or so..it is free.. it supports features
of asp.net Server control.

Easy to configure every thing using a configuration file in javascript

Sreejith