ASP 2.0.50215 using IIS 5.1 on XP Pro

Frank Chapman

I fully admit to being a true nubie, so be kind.

I've somehow screwed up my IIS 5.1 after installing ASP 2.0.50215 and
testing some basic ASP pages. I receive a Forbidden message which
appears at face value to be a permission issue but I'm running MS
Visual Web 2005 with administrative privledges.

I don't know this is the issue but I did note that the ASP settings
were calling for the web.config file found at:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\web.config.

I'm using ASP 2.0.50215 and in the similar directory:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215\CONFIG

there is no file called web.config. there is web.config.comments and
we.config.default but no we.confg.

Thanks for any direction
Frank Chapman

Green Start Button

Try this:

Make a copy of Web.Config into the folder
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215\CONFIG and try it again.

.... just a thought.

Juan T. Llibre

There's no need for a file named web.config in that directory.

web.config goes in the root directory of your applications
*only if you need to override the settings in machine.config* !

What *is* essential is that you have a file named machine.config
in the CONFIG directory.

If you don't have one, look for a file with this name :

machine.config.comments

Open it and save it as text, in the same directory, as machine.config

As a substitute, if machine.config.comments is not there,
look for machine.config.default as save *that* as machine.config.

machine.config.default has the same settings as machine.config.comments,
but doesn't have all the possible configuration explanations.