ASP Classic and .Net Components

Rhek

Hello,

I have just moved an ASP Classic website to a new hosting company that has a
number of .NET components available. The website works fine after the move
with one exception. We were creating PDFs using ASPPDF for ASP but now it
looks like only ABCPDF.NET is available.

My knowledge of ASP.NET is very limited at this time and I am planning on
converting the site to ASP.NET soon but I really need to get the PDF working
as soon as I can.

Is any of the following possible...

1) "wrap" the ASPPDF com control so I can use it at the new hosting company
as a workaround for now? This would be the easiest for me as I would not need
to change the asp classic code (maybe a little). Maybe place the asppdf com
control in the .bin directory? The control does need registered in it's
current form.

2) access the ABCPDF.NET component from a classic asp page?

3) write the pdf code in ASP.NET and then call that code from an ASP Classic
page? If I write this as a web service can I call the web service from an ASP
Classic page? I would need to pass a parameter, maybe two parameters to the
pdf code

4) I am open to any suggestion other then migrate the website to asp.net at
the moment as I need to get this up and working in the next few days if
possible.

If you have any thoughts on this subject please let me know. (code samples
would be wonderful!!)

Cheers,
Rhek

Jeff Cochran

Hello,

I have just moved an ASP Classic website to a new hosting company that has a
number of .NET components available. The website works fine after the move
with one exception. We were creating PDFs using ASPPDF for ASP but now it
looks like only ABCPDF.NET is available.

My knowledge of ASP.NET is very limited at this time and I am planning on
converting the site to ASP.NET soon but I really need to get the PDF working
as soon as I can.

Is any of the following possible...

1) "wrap" the ASPPDF com control so I can use it at the new hosting company
as a workaround for now? This would be the easiest for me as I would not need
to change the asp classic code (maybe a little). Maybe place the asppdf com
control in the .bin directory? The control does need registered in it's
current form.
No.

2) access the ABCPDF.NET component from a classic asp page?
No.

3) write the pdf code in ASP.NET and then call that code from an ASP Classic
page? If I write this as a web service can I call the web service from an ASP
Classic page? I would need to pass a parameter, maybe two parameters to the
pdf code
Yes.

4) I am open to any suggestion other then migrate the website to asp.net at
the moment as I need to get this up and working in the next few days if
possible.

Then use #3.

ASP and ASP.NET code can live happily together. They cannot share
sessions, but you can pass variables with a query just fine.

Jeff