ASP.NET 2.0 Website Administration Tool Sucks!

dm1608

I understand the concept of the WAT tool for ASP.NET. It seems to work well
when used from a developer PC and launching thru Visual Studio 2005, etc.

The coolness of Membership, Roles, etc., quickly fade as I try and deploy a
website using these technologies....

I have inhereted a website that I need to host that contained a bunch of
pre-compiled web pages and assemblies using .NET 2.0.

The author said that I need to run the aspnet_iisreg tool tool to create all
the necessary tables and whatnot for the Membership and Roles services under
my existing database.

All is fine except for one thing.

I have no data in the aspnet tables for administrating the site.

I have done a few searches and see where some folks say I can launch the
WebAdmin site from IIS without having Visual Studio loaded. I have yet to
get the administration web page to load. Either I'm getting access denied
messages or some other cryptic errors.

How is a normal admin suppose to get this stuff to work without having to
have a develpoer on-hand?

All I want to do is create an admin user (with encrypted password) and
assign a role to him so I can log into web application.

What am I missing here?