ASP.NET 2005 on IIS 5.1

eric.goforth

Hello,

I'm trying to create a new website using VS2005 on my local machine
which is running IIS 5.1. I get the message:

Unable to create the Web 'http://localhost/WebSite'. Visual Web
Developer does not support creating Web sites on a SharePoint Web
server. See Help for more details.

It looks like there are several possible causes of this error, does
anyone know what I should look for first? Is is possible to develop
with VS 2005 on IIS 5.1?

-Eric

eric.goforth

Mischa said:
Yes

----

But there seem to be some problems with sharepoint.
You might want to have a google on:
asp.net 2 sharepoint

I found the following thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...44234668949?lnk=st&q=&rnum=2#c38ae44234668949

I tried following the following steps:

Go into the MMC for IIS.
Right-Click on the Default Website
Click New/Server Extensions 2002 Web
Minimize MMC to see the web browser that opens
Use your Admin ID/Password to authenticate
A web page is now open to allow you to create the Subweb.

Once you do that, you should be able to create the new web site in
VS2005.

I created a "TestSite" subweb. I can browse to it in IE via
http://localhost/TestSite/. If I try to create a new empty website in
VS 2005 at http://localhost/TestSite. I get the Visual Web Developer
does not support creating Web sites on a SharePoint Web server.

If I I try to open my web site on Local IIS, I get "The Web 'TestSite'
is not marked as an application in IIS. Do you want to open anyway?
If I click Yes. I get the Visual Web Developer does not support
opening Web sites on a SharePoint Web server message.

-Eric

eric.goforth

[...]

My objective was to open an existing ASP application in ASP.NET.

I got it to work, but I'm not sure why. Here's my recollection of what
I did:

Choose File -> New -> Web Site

Choose Empty Web Site, click on the Browse button.

Click on the New Virtual Directory.

I put in an Alias Name. I clicked on the Browse button and pick your
wwwroot directory. Then click on OK. When you get back to the Choose
Location dialog, pick the Virtual Directory that you just created. I
think that I then just clicked OK in the New Web Site Dialog. All my
asp files, etc. files are then listed in the VS2005 IDE. I've been
able to debug my ASP application in ASP.NET this way

-Eric