ASP.NET: How to conditionally display content based on login/authentication?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    One thing I did a lot of in Classic ASP involved showing page elements
    conditionally based on whether a user was logged in or not. Logged in users
    or "superusers" would get more content and/or more controls if my pages
    detected their login. Non-logged in users would also get some page content
    at a given URL, but the protected content was hidden from them.

    I would like to know generally how this is done in ASP.NET. I'm particularly
    interested in understanding how you make this happen within the froms
    authentication/authorization framework that's built into ASP.NET 1.1 or 2.0.

    Lots of tutorials online show me how to boot people off page and back to
    login if they aren't logged in. This isn't what I want. I'd like to show
    non-logged in folks a minimal version of the page, and show logged-in folks
    a lot more.

    Pretty sure this is a simple thing involving a session variable or somesuch.
    Can someone point the way to the best practice?

    -KF

    Guest, Jul 26, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jul 26, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Thank you. Can someone show me some code?

    Specifically, I'm wondering what object or widget or attribute I inspect to
    make the determination about whether visiblility should be on or off.

    Thanks,
    -KF

    Guest, Jul 26, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Partially answering my own question, this link has some good information and
    C# samples:

    msdn article on C# and forms-based auth:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301240&ID=kb;en-us;Q301240&SD=MSDN

    Very good basic discussion of ASP.NET 1.x authentication methods

    The end of this page addresses the question of managing visibility by roles:
    http://www.xoc.net/works/tips/forms-authentication.asp

    This page has C# samples that also set visibiliity based on roles:
    http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/formsroleauth.asp

    Authentication in 2.0:
    http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=351414

    -KF