ASP.Net newbie

Earl

I'm not an ASP developer but having a VS Architect license, I decided to get
some more use out of the tools besides just developing Windows Forms apps.
So I fired up the IDE and tried to create a new ASP.Net Web application.
Somewhat instantly I got the message:

"Visual Studio .Net has detected that the specified Web server is not
running ASP.Net version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.Net Web
applications or services."

Beyond instantly thinking that perhaps Microsoft is risk-averse to writing
other than cryptic messages, I reconsidered my idea of learning ASP. Two
beers later, I reconsidered again. Well, I have the 1.1 Framework installed
(version 1.1.4322) and the IDE is version 7.1.3088. I have all of IIS
installed and all of the Windows Updates in place. Is there some other patch
or configuration that I'm overlooking?

Kevin Spencer

Having the .Net framework installed on your OS and having the ASP.Net ISAPI
installed on your web server are 2 completely diffferent things. You need to
run the following command-line utility to do the latter:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

A word of advice, if you've never devloped a web application before: ASP.Net
is much more complex to work with than a Windows form. In particular, HTTP
(the transport protocol used by web applications) is stateless, so ASP.Net
has numerous workarounds to enable State in an ASP.Net app. This makes the
interface tier much trickier to work with. Bone up as much as you can on
HTTP, HTML, and your web server.

Good luck!

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Chris Moore

You will need to register the aspnet_isapi dll in IIS before you can
develop web applications, even after installing the .NET Framework. This
is done by calling:
%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis -i

You can check to see whether your system is set up properly by launching
inetmgr. In the tree view, open up the default web site, right click it,
and select properties. On the window that comes up, go to the "Home
Directory" tab and click the "Configuration" button. Under your
application mappings, you should see that .aspx extensions (as well as
others) are mapped to
%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll.

Chris

Earl

Thanks for the advice Kevin. I can't imagine that learning ASP will hurt the
Winforms side of things either :=)

Earl

This was precisely the direction I needed to get off the ground Chris. Very
helpful. The dll was NOT registered. Thanks much.

Earl

"Windows Server" ... now that is a term that could be interpreted a lot of
different ways. But the answer to what I think you were asking is IIS 5.1.