ASP.NET + Remoting

Guest

I have a WebApplication that uses tcp/binary remoting to communicate with
remote objects hosted by a Windows Service on another machine. The
WebApplication takes an XML post (~200K) and turns that into about 300
remoting calls. There is another WebApplication and a WebService running on
this box.

What I'm finding is that occasionally the Web Server locks up. If I restart
the Web Server any new requests are processed just fine. The point being
that I don't have to touch the remote object i.e. restart the Windows service.

On the other hand, if I instead restart the Windows service (hosting the
remote object) the Web Server becomes responsive again.

This sound like a remoting/threading issue, but I can't wrap my brain around
it.

Thanks,
Brad

Bruce Barker

without more info, it hard. you should add logging to you application, so
you can tell whats happening.

my quick guess is that the service is starving for connections. most likely
when the webapp calls the webservice its waiting for a connection, because
its at the max connection limit (default is 2). killing either side frees
the connections. you should turn off keepalive, so that an asp.net thread
returned to pool isn't holding a connection until timeout. if you want to
use keepalive, then you should create you own pool of connections and manage
them.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am having the same issue you have been noticing. We also have a Asp.NEt application which connects to a remote service. When the connections become really high (usually more than 60), my windows service breaks down. This leads to restarting the service. Were you able to fix your problem. It will be a great help for me if you would be able to help me out to fix my problem .

Thanks
Kiran Simon