ASP.NET seems too delicate.

cr113

I get the following error message when I try to run any ASP.NET
application, even "hello world": "Unable to start debugging on the web
server." It used to work on Windows 2000 but since I've switched to XP
it quit working. I've tried adjusting all kinds of settings that
Microsoft recommends with no luck. I tried reinstalling IIS and Visual
Studio. I put in a service request with Microsoft and so far they
can't figure it out.

Anyway I'm wondering if ASP.NET is really ready for doing real world
applications. It seems like there are thousands of settings, hidden
deep in the bowels of XP's sub menus, and if any one of them are off
ASP.NET will no longer work. Maybe I need to stick with plain old ASP
code until they get the bugs worked out? I'm using Visual Studio 2003
with service pack 1, maybe they've fixed things in later versions?

senfo

cr113 said:
I get the following error message when I try to run any ASP.NET
application, even "hello world": "Unable to start debugging on the web
server." It used to work on Windows 2000 but since I've switched to XP
it quit working. I've tried adjusting all kinds of settings that
Microsoft recommends with no luck. I tried reinstalling IIS and Visual
Studio. I put in a service request with Microsoft and so far they
can't figure it out.

Anyway I'm wondering if ASP.NET is really ready for doing real world
applications. It seems like there are thousands of settings, hidden
deep in the bowels of XP's sub menus, and if any one of them are off
ASP.NET will no longer work. Maybe I need to stick with plain old ASP
code until they get the bugs worked out? I'm using Visual Studio 2003
with service pack 1, maybe they've fixed things in later versions?

There are thousands of people using ASP.NET with great success. Your
problem is probably rare (possibly unique) so it might take some time to
figure out what you've done to prohibit debugging on your machine. Have
you attempted to run the site *without* debugging enabled?

To answer your question, ASP.NET is more than ready for prime time.
It's been heavily used in the industry for the past few years with
*great* success. I highly recommend that you stick with it and try to
figure out what has gone wrong. Worst case scenario, how difficult
would it be for you to rebuild your Windows XP system from scratch and
clean up whatever has been improperly configured? Both Visual Studio
2003 and 2005 have worked flawlessly for me on both Windows 2000 and
Windows XP without requiring any special tweaking. In my experience,
any time people have these irregular problems, it's because of something
they have done themselves either purposely or without realizing.

Good luck,

cr113

Hello,

maybe this would help :http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_v...

Ornette.

"senfo" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de

Thanks, I've already tried those fixes but they don't work for me. I'm
going to try to upgrade to VS 2005 and see if that helps. The
Microsoft guy told me that I was running the wrong version of the
Framework. I'm running the Dotnet Framework 2.0 with VS 2003. He told
me to run 1.1 with VS2003 and 2.0 with VS2005.