asp.net v1.1.4322 CS0016

John

Ok, I give up. I have an XP SP2 development system that has both asp.net
v1.1.4322 and v2.0.50727 loaded on it. When I try to run my web site in
debug mode, I get error CS0016 as follows:

Compiler Error Message: CS0016: Could not write to output file
'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\mycompany\61ed8bd6\4d57d3a7\evgr-dci.dll' -- 'Access is denied. '

I've googled this and tried the following:

- Changed the permissions on the "Temporary ASP.NET Files" directory
- Added ASPNET and NETWORK SERVICE to the security settings for this
directory
- Followed MSDN article #825791 and changed TMP and TEMP to C:\Temp
- Set the ASP.NET version to 1.1.4322 in IIS (version 5.1 incidentally)
- Did numerous reboots
- Reinstalled IIS
- Re-applied ASP.NET v1.1 (and SP1)
- Reinstalled ASP.NET v1.1 (and SP1)
- Reinstalled Visual Studio 2003 (and SP1)

but still I get the CS0016 error.

Can anyone help?
John Martin

Juan T. Llibre

Delete every directory below :

c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\

Do *not* delete the \Temporary ASP.NET Files directory;
only delete every directory below it.

Then, stop/restart IIS.

John

Oh yea, I also tried:

- Adding IUSR_mymachine to the security settings for all temp directories
- Stopping all indexing services
- Turning off the firewall

Thanks,
John

John

Juan,

Thanks for responding to my inquiry. I just tried what you suggested:

1) Delete all files (and directories) under \Temporary ASP.NET Files
2) Stop and then Restart IIS

Still fails with CS0016.

Do you have any other suggestions?
John Martin

John

Juan,

Thanks for the link. I followed the instructions and the problem is fixed!
It wasn't exactly straight forward, but here's the change that made it work:

I added Read/Write access for ASPNET to C:\Documents and
Settings\mymachine\ASPNET

I was focusing my attention on the "Temporary ASP.NET Files" directory since
that's where the "Access Denied" message was pointing to. But thanks to the
"ASP.NET Required Access Control Lists (ACLs)" article, I chased the problem
down to a completely different location.

Thanks a lot!
John