ASP page will not load

teenzbutler

I have a 10mb ASP file, which will not load in IE 6.0. I
get an HTTP 500 error. When I convert the 10mb file to
HTML, it loads fine. Is there a limitation on file size?
If so, is there a tag I can place at the top of the page
to override the size limitation?

Thanks.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I have a 10mb ASP file

Uh, what the heck do you need to do that takes 10mb of ASP code???

You're lucky you get a 500 error, and IIS doesn't reach out and smack you.
;-)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

teenzbutler said:
I have a 10mb ASP file, which will not load in IE 6.0. I
get an HTTP 500 error. When I convert the 10mb file to
HTML, it loads fine. Is there a limitation on file size?
If so, is there a tag I can place at the top of the page
to override the size limitation?

Thanks.

Your first task is to tell us what the real error message is. see here:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

Bob Barrows

teenzbutler

I want to thank you all for your positive feedback LOL...
Let me explain:

1. The President of my company wanted the abiilty to view
his month-end reports while away from the office (8
reports in total). The files are company-sensitive Excel
spreadsheet that were converted to HTML.

2. To protect the material, I created a secure logon
using ASP. To secure the files, I had to convert them to
ASP

3. 7 of the 8 reports are working perfectly. The large
one (10mb), however, is giving me problems.

The true HTTP error is:

HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error

I hope this helps.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

teenzbutler said:
I want to thank you all for your positive feedback LOL...
Let me explain:

1. The President of my company wanted the abiilty to view
his month-end reports while away from the office (8
reports in total). The files are company-sensitive Excel
spreadsheet that were converted to HTML.

2. To protect the material, I created a secure logon
using ASP. To secure the files, I had to convert them to
ASP

3. 7 of the 8 reports are working perfectly. The large
one (10mb), however, is giving me problems.

The true HTTP error is:

HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error
No it isn't. You did not read the page whose link I posted. Do you not have
internet access? Here, I'll post the text:

Why do I get a 500 Internal Server error for all ASP errors?

http://www.aspfaq.com/2109 created: before August 2000
last updated: 2003-12-24 20:09 this article is printer friendly
You might be finding it difficult to debug ASP errors in a
browser. This is because IE5 has a ridiculous default option that suppresses
errors to a more "friendly" error (which, IMHO, is a lot more cryptic than
what they'd get otherwise). This comes back to the user as a 500.100
Internal Server Error (ASP 0147), and in certain scenarios a 404 Page cannot
be found error, and doesn't leave the user much information to pass on to
the webmaster, except to tell them that "The page cannot be displayed."

To circumvent this silliness and get real ASP errors, go to IE's
Tools/Internet Options menu, and on the advanced tab, uncheck "Show friendly
HTTP error messages."

After you've disabled this default setting, refresh the page in
question. There are four possible outcomes: (1) the page will magically work
again; (2) the page will give you a more detailed error (e.g. Stack Overflow
or Syntax Error), including a line number; (3) you will get "Server
Application Error" - which means that at some point IIS got confused about
the current application; or (4) you will still see non-descript error
messages.

If (3) is what happens, you can remedy this simply by going into
Internet Services Manager. Right-click the application in question (or
Default Web Site, if an application is not relevant), select properties, hit
the "Home Directory" tab, click the "Remove" button, and then click the
"Create" button. Follow with Apply/OK etc and get out of Internet Services
Manager. Refresh your page, and all should be well again.

If (4) is what happens, open Internet Services Manager, go to
the home directory tab of your default web site or application, click on
configuration, go to the Debugging tab, and make sure "Send detailed error
messages to the client" is selected. Click Apply/OK/OK etc. to get out of
there and try your page again.

If you are still getting errors like 'page not found' then go
into Internet Services Manager, right-click Default Web Site, choose
Properties, and on the Home Directory tab, click the Configuration button.
On the App Debugging tab, make sure "Send detailed ASP error messages to
client" is selected.

Page not found errors can also be cause by the IIS Lockdown
wizard. Or, in Windows Server 2003 / IIS 6.0, a misconfigured Application
Server (see Article #2147 for information on configuring your application
server to allow the server to process ASP files).

Finally, check the event log, as occasionally there is more
information there than you will see in the browser. Of course this is even
more likely if you can't change the IIS or browser configurations.

See KB #261200 and KB #311766 for more information.

Bob Barrows

teenzbutler

I already tried basic and digest authentication, but
authentication fails while logged onto my own domain
(i.e., while in the office).

teenzbutler

I read the article twice. I changed the setting within IE
and, opened Internet Services Manager and found that the
setting "Send detailed error messages to the client" was
already selected. I tried accessing the page again and
the message I receive is:

HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error (IN BIG BOLD LETTERS)

So, I don't know if there is any more information I can
send.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I bet if you send a URL where we can see this, we can show you that you
didn't follow all of the instructions properly by telling you what the error
message really is.

Roland Hall

: I already tried basic and digest authentication, but
: authentication fails while logged onto my own domain
: (i.e., while in the office).

butler...

Just leave the xl files in their native format. IE will read them. Set the
authentication to integrated, remove anonymous, which will require your boss
to logon as domain\username and domain password, just as if he were logging
onto the domain in his office, same info. Create a simple HTML file that
links to the files and make sure HIS account has access to the files.
Otherwise, you're probably going to need someone to visit and take care of
this for you.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Jeff Cochran

I already tried basic and digest authentication, but
authentication fails while logged onto my own domain
(i.e., while in the office).

See (for starters)

HOW TO: Set Up Anonymous and Basic Authentication on the Same Web
Content in IIS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313251

HOW TO: Configure Internet Information Services Web Authentication in
Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308160

How To View or Change Authentication Methods in IIS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301457

How to Create a Password-Protected Web Page by Using Microsoft Office
FrontPage 2003, Active Server Pages (ASP), and a Microsoft Access
database:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825498

How To Use Simple ASP Code to Password Protect Your ASP Pages:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301464

Jeff