asp questions before i begin project

Jimmy

i got it working guys, thank you.

the problem was a combination of the TCP/IP settings in SQL (dynamic ports
were a problem) and my connection string (i had to specify the instance
name!)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Jimmy said:
i got it working guys, thank you.

the problem was a combination of the TCP/IP settings in SQL (dynamic
ports were a problem)

Could we trouble you for a few details for future reference?

Dave Anderson

Jimmy said:
"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80004005)
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or
access denied."

DBNETLIB ? Isn't that named pipes? Add this parameter to your connection
string to specify TCP/IP:

Network Library=DBMSSOCN

I always use data link files to build my connection strings. It is a very
reliable way to build them:

Create an empty text file
Rename it with the .udl extension
Double-click to open as a data link
Click on the provider tab
Select desired provider and press [Next]
Configure and test your connection
Check "Allow saving password"

Once you have a working data link file, close it (save when prompted), and
open in a text editor. It will contain your connection string.

Mike Brind

Bob said:
There is a Read More section under the SQL 2005 node at
www.connectionstrings.com (no direct link). It contains a link to this
article if you want more information:

I haven't gotten heavily involved in using 2005 yet, so my expertise is
limited there.

Thanks Bob. I've recently taken the plunge with SSEE 2005, moving away
from Access. Corrupted mdb file has finally forced my hand. What can
I say....?