'AspCompat' attribute not allowed

Jonathan

I'm trying to move a asp.net website to a new site hosted by Godaddy.com.
When I try to browse and aspx page with ADO in it, I get:

Parser Error Message: The current trust level does not allow use of the
'AspCompat' attribute

Source Error:

Line 29: </head>
Line 30:
Line 31: <%@ Page language="VB" Debug="true" aspcompat="True" %>

Godaddy said on the phone they don't allow aspcompat="True". I assume I need
it for the code that says:

sPath = "D:\inetpub\www\myuser\fpdb\db.mdb"
Cnxn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Cnxn.open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Persist Security
Info=TRUE;" & "Data Source=" & sPath, "Admin", "")

What are the options? Is there another line of code I can add to make it
work somehow?

TIA

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

GoDaddy.com is notorious for the ridiculous and inappropriate restrictions
they put on hosted sites. I once started a site with them and it wouldn't
even allow an outbound HttpWebRequest. They never disclose ANY of this
information up front - you have to find out "after the fact".
My advice? Find another hosting company right away and cut your losses.

-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

Rick Strahl

Peter's right - run away from GoDaddy if you think you have any code that
requires security settings. They are horribly inflexible and will not work
with you to get security issues resolved.

However your particular problem is due to using COM for ADO data access. You
can change your code to use ADO.NET instead and use the ADO.NET OleDb
provider instead. It will require code changes.

I assume you're migrating some older ASP classic code if you're using the
COM ADO classes. If rewriting for ADO.NET is not an option you'd probably be
much better off using classic ASP which will perfom better with the COM
objects than ADO.NET will and would let you get around the security issues.

+++ Rick ---

Jonathan

Thanks.

When you say "It will require code changes", I wonder if you can help me
identify them? This is what I have:

<%@ Page language="VB" Debug="true" aspcompat="True" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.OleDb" %>

sPath = "D:\inetpub\www\myuser\fpdb\db.mdb"
Cnxn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Cnxn.open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Persist Security
Info=TRUE;" & "Data Source=" & sPath, "Admin", "")

rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
rs.open(strSQLChange, Cnxn, 2, 2)

If rs.EOF Then 'No records
bolLoggedIn = False
Else
bolLoggedIn = True
strCookieFirstName = rs("UserFirstName").Value
strCookieLastName = rs("UserLastName").Value
strLoggedInEmailAddress = strEmailAddress
End If

rs.Close
rs = Nothing
Cnxn.Close
Cnxn = Nothing

Steven Cheng

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, as other members have suggested, the error is due to the current .NET
Code access security level of your ASP.NET application is restricted and
does not allow you to use "AspCompat" attribute on aspx page. This is a
common problem when you host page in a publish web hoster. If the webhoster
will not allow elevated code access security, I'm afraid you may consider
migrating those ASPCOMPAT page's code to .NET code so as to avoid the
problem.

Here are some reference about Code Access Security and ASP.NET:

#How To: Use Code Access Security in ASP.NET 2.0

#ASP.NET Code Access Security
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/87x8e4d1.aspx

Hope also helps some.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

Steven Cheng

Hi Jonathan,

From the code you provided, you're still using the VB6 ADO objects to
connect access database. In .net framework you can use the new OleDb
provider:

#Walkthrough: Editing an Access Database with ADO.NET

However, as far as I know, OleDBProvider also require Full permission trust
level (for CAS settings), mentioned in the article I mentioned earlier:

#How To: Use Code Access Security in ASP.NET 2.0

therefore, I'm afraid the host provider's policy restriction become the
main bottleneck here.

Regards,

From: "Jonathan" <[email protected]>