aspnetdb.mdf

Guest

Can I copy aspnetdb.mdf tp another computer and expect the ASPNet account to
have rights to open this database? What is the proper way copy ASPNETDB to
another webserver? What is the proper wat to admin aspnetdb.mdf on a
non-development computer?

Bruce Barker

no. attaching a database requires sqladmin permissions (default with
sqlexpress) but not something you'd want the asp.net account to have. you
should supply a seperate installation script.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Joerg Jooss

Hello Arne,
Can I copy aspnetdb.mdf tp another computer and expect the ASPNet
account to have rights to open this database?

No. Machine1\ASPNET and Machine2\ASPNET are not the same principal. And on
the same computer Windows Explorer's file copy will only preserve ASPNET's
ACLs for a file if the ASPNET user performs the copy (thus becoming the copy's
owner), or the parent directory has ACLs for ASPNET set.
What is the proper way
copy ASPNETDB to another webserver? What is the proper wat to admin
aspnetdb.mdf on a non-development computer?

A simple CMD shell script that copies the MDF file and runs CACLS to set
access permissions for ASPNET should do the trick.

Cheers,