Audio Player Web Service

i5ha

Hello, I'm quite new to web services, and I was wondering whether there
was a simple way to create one that plays music? I'm currently using
Weblogic 8.1 as tool. I thought of two solutions - 1. to create a web
service that opens a music file and plays it using an available browser
plugin (e.g Window Media Player) 2. to make use of the javax.media
package to develop the web service, which will be an applet. Trouble is
that the javax.media package is not being recognised in Weblogic and as
for opening a music file, I don't know if it can be done. Can anyone
pleease help or advice me? Thanks.

alexandre_paterson

Hello, I'm quite new to web services, and I was wondering whether there
was a simple way to create one that plays music? I'm currently using
Weblogic 8.1 as tool. I thought of two solutions - 1. to create a web
service that opens a music file and plays it using an available browser
plugin (e.g Window Media Player) 2. to make use of the javax.media
package to develop the web service, which will be an applet. Trouble is
that the javax.media package is not being recognised in Weblogic and as
for opening a music file, I don't know if it can be done. Can anyone
pleease help or advice me? Thanks.

Hi there!

The term "web service" in the "webapp" world is a complete
misnomer IMHO.

I ranted a bit about it here (hope links works fine):

http://groups.google.com/group/comp...read/thread/e82032b68c38683d/d8482d73eaf7fcbf

You want to propose a service accessible by the Web, to your users.
A service that allows them to play music coming from your server.

But I'm not sure at all that this would be best done using
what is a "web service" (ie using SOAP or XML RPC).

Moreover the "web service" is served from the server side, so
there's no way to:
create a web service that opens a music file and plays it using
an available browser plugin (e.g Window Media Player)

for it's something on the client side that has to launch the
player (eg an ActiveX [beurk] thinggy on IE).

Now you could have a web page with an applet and have that
applet communicate with the server, but you probably want
something else than "web service(s)" to exchange audio data.
For I doubt that you could stream effectively using "web service(s)".

The first obstacle would be TCP: web service are using TCP, while
for streaming audio and video you'll probably want UDP...

Anyway, I really think it's a misunderstanding regarding the
term "web service", which really isn't what most people think
it is,

Alex

Oliver Wong

Hello, I'm quite new to web services, and I was wondering whether there
was a simple way to create one that plays music? I'm currently using
Weblogic 8.1 as tool. I thought of two solutions - 1. to create a web
service that opens a music file and plays it using an available browser
plugin (e.g Window Media Player) 2. to make use of the javax.media
package to develop the web service, which will be an applet. Trouble is
that the javax.media package is not being recognised in Weblogic and as
for opening a music file, I don't know if it can be done. Can anyone
pleease help or advice me? Thanks.

I answered your question on another newsgroup.

Crosspost, don't multipost:

- Oliver