Authentication popup comes up for Anonymous allowed app

Hiten

I have a asp.net web application on windows 2000 advanced server having
latest security updates installed and .net framework 1.1. with latest patch.

Eventhough application is configured to allow anonymous, when I try to
access the application using its IP address, it shows a dialog asking login
and password. If i cancel it, it displays the web page. On each postback, it
again displays the dialog box. Also, the page having custom control does not
display the control at all.

Anybody has any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Hiten

WJ

Hiten said:
latest security updates installed

Make sure that these latest security patches did not modify IIS security
settings. Check your II s/websites again.

John

swat

Hiten,

Is there anything on the page requiring authentication? For example,
what does the custom control do?

Paul Clement

¤
¤ Eventhough application is configured to allow anonymous, when I try to
¤ access the application using its IP address, it shows a dialog asking login
¤ and password. If i cancel it, it displays the web page. On each postback, it
¤ again displays the dialog box. Also, the page having custom control does not
¤ display the control at all.
¤
¤ Anybody has any idea what could be wrong?

You're likely encountering an NTFS file based security issue. The default web account, probably
ASPNET if you're not enabling impersonation, doesn't have sufficient permissions to access one of
the resources being used by your web application.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)