Awesome flash site... can swing do this?

kaeli

<grin>

Oh I have nothing much against Flash myself -- in fact it's quite a nice
technology, IMO, albeit overused -- but it's not on my machine by default, and
I don't know of any benefits it brings (to me, personally) that make up for the
effort of installing it,

What effort? It's one click (if the web designer did it right and gave a URL
for the plugin) and takes less than 3 minutes. Well, for me, anyway.

My only issue with it is the bandwidth / loading time. When I had dial-up, I
didn't like it nearly as well as I do now that I have broadband. :p
besides, not having it installed in my browser gives me yet another reason to
chunter irritably about website designers, and What the World is Coming to
These Days...

*LOL*

Bryce

Oh I have nothing much against Flash myself -- in fact it's quite a nice
technology, IMO, albeit overused --

I think Macromedia dropped the ball on this one.

1 Flash has come to stand for silly website animations, etc.

2 They built around it, a pretty decent application framework for
building Rich Internet Apps. Unfortunately, most people equate Flash
apps with #1 above.

3. To add to confusion, they released Flex, which, as far as I can
tell, is basically the ability to develop Flash apps from an XML file.
And they charge something like $12K for it. Most people I talk to
think that Flex is required to do Rich Internet Apps in Flash, when
all you need is Flash MX and possibly Flash Remoting (there are open
source alternatives to Flash Remoting).

I feel they should have done two things:

1. Renamed the application framework, to remove the silly animation
tag.

2. Opened up the framework. Flash is proprietary (although I guess its
not 100%, as there are tons of applications out there that help you
build Flash apps). OpenAMF is attempting to open up the Flash Remoting
spec, but nothing is being done about the fla/swf file formats.

Just my opinion though. I like Flash apps. Like Java Applets though,
there are "best practices" that helps performance. You're typical
graphics designers, who tend to be the ones that do the animations,
usually have no concept of these practices.

Michael Borgwardt

kaeli said:
How does one get it installed?
It is just a matter of getting the SUN JVM instead of Windows?

Yes. That and activate it for the browser you want to use it in,
though I think you're prompted for that during the JVm installation.

James Fassett

2. Opened up the framework. Flash is proprietary (although I guess its
not 100%, as there are tons of applications out there that help you
build Flash apps). OpenAMF is attempting to open up the Flash Remoting
spec, but nothing is being done about the fla/swf file formats.

The SWF format is open:
http://www.openswf.org/

The FLA format is not.

regards,
James.

Gordon Beaton

What effort? It's one click (if the web designer did it right and
gave a URL for the plugin) and takes less than 3 minutes. Well, for
me, anyway.

My only issue with it is the bandwidth / loading time. When I had
dial-up, I didn't like it nearly as well as I do now that I have
broadband. :p

My issue with Flash, which is closely related to the fact that it's
proprietary, is that it isn't available for several of my machines
(running Linux on UltraSparc and Alpha). I've got nothing against
proprietary software per se, as long as there are alternatives.

/gordon

Chris Uppal

kaeli said:
What effort? It's one click (if the web designer did it right and gave a
URL
for the plugin) and takes less than 3 minutes. Well, for me, anyway.

It's not so much the physical effort (but why should I even bother with 1 mouse
click if I anticipate no nett benefit ?) as the mental.

I have to think about and decide:

Is this link valid -- e.g. might I have been pointed to a malware site ?

If it is valid, will it install cleanly, or just leave me looking at a page of
errors ?

If it does install cleanly, what if it trashes my setup ?

Will I be able to unistall it if I want ?

What happens if it turns out to be trojaned, or to be spyware or addware ?

Can I be bothered to real the term-and-conditions ?

Even if the above is all OK, will I then have to trawl though pages and pages
of setup to turn off its more offensive features ? (E.g. the spyware-like
features in (IIRC) Real Player that are, or were, turned on by default.)

Does the supplier have a reputation for including buffer-overruns, and the like
? Will I be compromising my own security by allowing their pluggin to run
third-parties' "code" (.swf files and the like).

And so on...

Much easier just not to bother.

-- chris

keith edward

Guys,

I was looking at this flash app for intranet applications, where I can
ensure everyone has the plugin...

THE POINT WAS can anyone provide a similar web app built in swing?

Does anyone really use swing for web apps anymore? Is swing dead?

Keith

Andrew Thompson

Not talking to the ladies?
I was looking at this flash app

What Flash app.? Thus far you have lacked enough sense
to describe it as anything beyond a 'flash app'.
THE POINT WAS can anyone provide a similar web app built in swing?

Probably. But I don't know what it does.
Does anyone really use swing for web apps anymore?
Yes.

..Is swing dead?

No.

--