Back Only to Calling page and with a Refresh ??

jobs

I have a page where users select from a bunch of gridviews, setting
session variables and then hit an a New or Edit button which redirects
them to a formview in edit or insert mode.

While in that formview page they might do a bunch of postbacks, so the
back button might not always have the desired affect of taking them
back to the calling page.

problem #1, a normal back, will only take them to the page from the
prior postback, which is likely not the calling page as they desired.
Any way so that back takes them to the original calling page and not
all the postbacks from the formview. Or possibly a custom back button
that takes them to the calling page in the state it was in.
response.redirect takes them to a new instances of the page with
viewstate lost.

problem #2, if and when the do go back to the calling page of
gridviews, the data on those gridviews might not be valid any more and
so a refresh is required, any way to refresh a page (without loosing
viewstate) to get fresh data?

Thanks!