beginner: how to close a pop up window before opening an other pop up

Madame Blablavatsky

hello,

i have a few links on a page. when one clicks a link an pop up window with
an image opens.
when people click an other link i want the already availible pop up window
to close before
the other pop up window opens.

i just can't get it right, i always get an error message:
line: 23
char: 20
error: object doesn't support this property or method

the line with the error is:
vensters[x].close();

here is the source:
======================== source ====================
<head>

<script style="text/javascript">
// 'teller=1': no pop up window open;
// 'teller=0': pop up window open;
var teller;
teller = 0;

// array with pop up windows;
var vensters = new Array(3);
vensters[0] = "win1";
vensters[1] = "win2";
vensters[2] = "win3";

function openWindowPlaatje(num) {
var x;

// if an pop up is already open, close it before opening a new pop
up;
if(teller == 1){
for(x = 0; x < vensters.length; x++){
if(vensters[x] != num ){
vensters[x].close(); // this line gives error message;
}

// open the selected pop up;
if(num=="win1"){
win1=window.open("plaatje1.html","",'top=250,left=250,
width=238,height=255');
teller = 1;
}

if(num=="win2"){

win2=window.open("plaatje2.html","","top=250,left=250,width=50,height=50");
teller = 1;
}

if(num=="win3"){

win3=window.open("plaatje3.html","","top=250,left=250,width=150,height=150")
;
teller = 1;
}

}

</script>
</head>

ASM

Madame said:
hello,

i have a few links on a page. when one clicks a link an pop up window with
an image opens.
when people click an other link i want the already availible pop up window
to close before
the other pop up window opens.

correction :
you didn't verify if popup to close was existing

if(teller == 1){
for(x = 0; x < vensters.length; x++){
if(vensters[x] != num && vensters[x] && !vensters[x].closed){
vensters[x].close(); // this line gives error message;
}

the best way would be all popups have same name (here : 'win')

<head>
<script style="text/javascript">

var win=false;

function pop(page,attrib) {
// if popup 'win' exists or ins't closed : close it
if(win || !!win.closed) win.close();
win = window.open(page,'',attrib);
}

function openWindowPlaatje(num) {
if(num==1)
pop("plaatje1.html","top=250,left=250,width=238,height=255");
if(num==2)
pop("plaatje2.html","top=250,left=250,width=50,height=50");
if(num==3)
pop("plaatje3.html","top=250,left=250,width=150,height=150");
}

</script>
</head>

onclick="openWindowPlaatje(1); return false;" >plaatje 1</a><br>
onclick="openWindowPlaatje(2); return false;" >plaatje 2</a><br>
onclick="openWindowPlaatje(3); return false;" >plaatje 3</a><br>

if javascript is disabled,
visitor will get the right page in a new normal window

}

Hello Stephane Moriaux,

I find it a very clever solution but i still have one question:
what is the meaning of the double exclamation mark?
if(win || !!win.closed) win.close();

At first I thought it to be a mistake, but when I omitted it, it gave an
error message.
I can knowwhere find the meaning of it.

thanks

ASM

Madame said:
Hello Stephane Moriaux,

I find it a very clever solution but i still have one question:
what is the meaning of the double exclamation mark?
if(win || !!win.closed) win.close();

At first I thought it to be a mistake, but when I omitted it, it gave an
error message.

so ... now you know why they are
I can knowwhere find the meaning of it.

! want to say 'no'

experiment :

<script>
var asm = true;
alert( !asm ) ; // --> false
alert( !!asm ); // --> true
</script>

Madame Blablavatsky

<script>
var asm = true;
alert( !asm ) ; // --> false
alert( !!asm ); // --> true
</script>

thanks for your help and explanation, it is clear to me now.

blablavatsky

Donius

So, semantically, it's useless, right? I'm not missing anything here?
It just means 'not not', which cancels itself out?

-Brendan

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>,
dated Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:48:03, seen in
Donius said:
So, semantically, it's useless, right? I'm not missing anything here?
It just means 'not not', which cancels itself out?

No. Yes. Sort of.

It returns a Boolean, whatever it may have been given; and a Boolean is
the right way to represent a two-way yes/no-type quantity. It does so
whether it is given on its right a number, string, function name,
undefined, NaN, +-infinity, and UTC&A&A.

However, in the context
if (win || !!win.closed) win.close();
in which it was introduced in this thread, ISTM superfluous; win.closed
should already be Boolean, and, if it were not, the context would coerce
it - its author is already relying on the context to coerce a function
reference or undefined to Boolean.